Is it Parathyroid or not

Posted , 3 users are following.

I was diagnosed with Fibromyalgia a year and a half  ago after being in so much pain all the time and feeling very tired and not well.  About a year ago I had my first test blood showing raised Calcium levels. On my first visit to see a consultant there was talk about what going on and talk of having the Parathyroid/s removed which could stop some of the pain I am in.  The last two blood tests show my calcium levels have gone down to nearly normal.  Please can anyone tell me whats going on.  The consultant I saw last week told me that they won't consider an op with the calcium levels as they are now. I have had more bloods taken but I do not have a follow up appointment for 6 months.  Although I don't want an op I think I am disappointed in some way because I am just looking for answers all the time to help me feel better. Wondered if anyone else has had experience like this.  Looking forward to hearing your reply's.  Many Thanks x  .  

0 likes, 3 replies

3 Replies

• Posted

Did you get PTH tested?  And what about vitamin d? My pth results were very high. Endocrinologist tested my vitamin d levels which turned out very low. He said that is often cause for elevated pth. I had similar symptoms- they have lessened since taking 50,000 iu prescription vitamin d weekly. Good luck 
    • Posted

Thank you Laura for your reply.  All other tests were fine in fact they commented how good my vitamin d levels were and asked if I had many holidays in the sun.  That's funny because I am not a lover of hot weather and always sit in the shade.  Wishing you well   

• Posted

Hi Sue I ve heard some people with hyperparathyroidy are diagnosed with fibromyalgia by mistake so go on to search  about calcium. You have a very interesting group Hyperparathyroid UK Action4 change

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.