Is it PMR itself, or the Pred, that causes weight gain?

Posted , 12 users are following.

Husband George is doing well slowly reducing his Pred and he's now down to 8mg.

He takes a lot of pills: for PMR, his Heart, and for Diabetes, and Prostrate.

His HbA1c was 58 last October, he got it down to 49 but it crept up again to 54.

French GP insists he has diabetes, which scared him, so he's been really careful about carbs for the last 5 or 6 weeks.

He's lost a bit of weight, but it's stuck for quite a long while. He is eating a lot less carb - and a lot less in general. But, his abdomen has got bigger and it looks very puffed-up. I'm wondering what's going on. Could it could be water retention?

1 like, 10 replies

10 Replies

• Posted

HI, Amanda

the weight gain in my case was 100% the prednisone. I went from 145 to 197 in no time and my face & neck were huge. I tapered completely off of prednisone last fall. I lost 35lbs very quick! Needless to say I was very happy! About a month ago, the PMR reared it's ugly head again and my shoulders & hips are in so damn much pain every morning. I decided I could handle the pain over starting back on prednisone, but alas, yesterday morning it was more than I could take. I grudgingly swallowed 15mg of prednisone and then again today. I am so sad 😦

• Posted

So sorry to hear this Kathy, hope you get your pain under control very soon.

• Posted

since your husband has so n

many other problems this needs to be brought to his doctor's attention.

You mentioned prostate medication; make sure it is not urinary retention. Only a urologist can assess that. It is dangerous to assume that prednisone is always the cause of a symptom. Also, with so many medications a serious interaction can occur. A pharmacist often knows more about this than the doctor.

We cannot assume "my doctor knows my case". They are human and make mistakes. We need to refresh their memory.

• Posted

Prednisone does cause weight gain, partly from fluid retention and partly because it increases appetite. I've taken it in the past and noticed a lot of bloating which went away when my dosage was finally reduced from 60 mg a day to 10 mg or so. I did gain 10 pounds but it's fat, not fluid retention. I was always starving and feeling miserable otherwise, so I over-indulged.

If you're concerned about fluid retention in your husband's belly, his doctor is the one you should talk to, especially with his history,

• Posted

I think that about my OH's gut too - but none of the other considerations apply! Age and poor muscle tone perhaps? aybe the weight loss is mainly muscle? How do his trousers fit otherwise? Are the legs looser?

I gained weight with PMR - unable to exercise and still eating the same, plus craving carbs in the afternoon probably because I was depressed. When I went on pred I didn't gain more, it redistributed. I DID gain weight while on methyl pred - I lost it all with diligent low carb eating and a different steroid.

What probably happens is that there are particular places that pred predisposes to for the deposit of fat stores: face, around the midriff and back of the neck. In a man the midriff fat appears as a belly, as it does in some women too, the fat is just below their bust and makes them look almost pregnant. Eating carbs raises the blood sugar level which triggers insulin production and the BS falls. There is also the random release of BS from the liver which the pred causes - it also raises the insulin level and falls fairly quickly but more insulin is produced than required as the body expects there to be a meal coming and a longer lasting BS spike. Something similar happens when you use artificial sweeteners, the sweetness makes the body think there is food coming and extra insulin is produced in that expectation but isn't used. Excess insulin causes the deposit of any sugar still around as fat stores.

There is also the question of fluid retention which is also a problem with pred - low salt as well as low carb helps there. But he does need a doctor without blinkers to look at other health aspects - including heart function and prostate effects.

• Posted

Thanks everyone. There's quite a lot to think about, the insulin and BS situation is complicated.

I think we should go and take on the French GP again and ask for more checks. .

• Posted

Sorry that I'm a year late on seeing this post but I gained 55 lbs. very fast on Prednisone. I was thin my entire life so to see this massive weight gain was devastating. 2.5 years later I still cry when I see photos or look in the mirror at this girl that is unrecognizable. It didn't make me hungry & I actually wasn't eating enough. After a year of this my doctor put me on a diuretic since I couldn't even get my shoes on anymore & it felt like my skin was going to tear open . I lost 15 of the 55 lbs. very fast but am still 40 lbs. over my normal weight & hate looking like this. My thick, 2 feet long hair all fell out after a year on prednisone but I now have 4 new inches of growth but now that is falling out. Half of my calf muscle tore of the bone just from me getting up from the couch & taking one step. That too from Prednisone along with my thin skin that tears so easily. I already had many auto immune diseases but at least I wasn't on Prednisone for them. I am down to 5mgs. for a long time now but the weight stays on. Ending on a positive note I am grateful that I can walk ,stand,& sit again without screaming with the worst pain imaginable & the collar bone/shoulder pain is also gone.

• Posted

Over three years, I have been slowly losing weight with pred and PMR.

It may be that weight gain is caused by reduced exercise and age-related issues like pre-diabeties.

• Edited

In my experience, neither PMR nor pred causes weight gain. Over three years, I have slowly lost weight on PMR and my diet is high carb.

My guess is PMR and aging tends to reduce one's inclination to exercise and eat well. Eating well is explained in Harvard University's "Healthy Eating Plate".

• Posted

I gained weight with PMR - nothing to do with ageing - the pain and disability of PMR slowly and progressively stopped my exercising. I was no longer able to use gym equipment, floor classes, I simply couldn't get up on to the step in step classes, nor could I walk more than 100m without severe bursitis pain developing, even crawling along like a 80-year-old. I switched to a different gym with a pool and aquafit classes but I was unable to do them as intensively as without PMR. I was at the gym 5 days a week - that didn't change so it certainly wasn't lack of inclination. I also have always eaten well - no junk at all. It is a decided help not being able to eat wheat!

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.