Is it possible for a panic attack to be caused by heavy carb/sugar intake?

Posted , 5 users are following.

I will be the first to admit that I haven't been eating the greatest lately. I used to be extremely diet conscious and ate healthy and went to the gym, but I've since fallen off of that for past 6 months or so.

Today, I had a large Starbucks coffee early in the morning, and didn't eat until lunch time. I was short on time and went to my workplace cafeteria and got possibly the worst food that I could have gotten: Two pieces of pepperoni pizza and two chocolate chip cookies. I scarfed that down in about 15 minutes.

About an hour or two later, I started to feel short of breathe and had a rapid heart rate. I got up and tried to get some fresh air, but still was just so out of breathe. My heart rate lingered between 100-115bpm during this time for about 20 or so minutes. After about 30 minutes total, I finally started to feel decreasingly anxious and my heart rate became more steady.

My question is: Is it possible that this panic attack was caused by my caffeine intake combined with the heavy carbs/sugar and lack of water?

If so, it's an obvious fix: Eat better and hydrate. I guess I'm also just curious if anyone else has had this issue. I'd rather not go to a doctor if this is a common thing with eating unhealthy and dehydration, and doesn't usually point to an underlying problem.

0 likes, 4 replies

4 Replies

• Posted

I'm not an expert but its likely. The first thing doctors tell you to do when you're diagnosed with anxiety is to get off coffee. The caffeine is a major trigger for some people. As for the carbs/sugar it happens to me as well. But mostly because diet/gym is my form of medication for anxiety. I don't take any medication just working out is enough to make me feel great and lower my mental and physical anxiety symptoms. So when I start slacking I tend to feel anxious and sick from both the carbs but also the mental thoughts that im being lazy and unhealthy. Recently due to back pain i skipped the gym and didnt eat right for 6 months and am going through some crazy symptoms. Doctor thinks its anxiety but im going to see a Neurologist to make sure. Im back to the gym and diet lol

• Posted

Yes, it's quite possible diet has an impact.. I bet there is plenty of studies/articles on the topic that you can look over. And also do your own little experiment-- For a week eat as healthy as you can-- more protein and veggies and at the end of the day journal what happened and how you feel.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.