is it possible for me to come off warfarin ?

Posted , 4 users are following.

i would like to be able to stop taking warfarin so that i can start the investigation to hopefully find out why my blood has a clotting problem. i cant do this while im on warfarin because the result of any bloodtest will be contaminated. im hoping that i can heal myself with changes to my diet. can anyone help ?

0 likes, 6 replies

6 Replies

• Posted

Hi rob, I don't know if the below would be relevant to you but my husband was placed on warfarin after one PE. It was also discovered that he had undianosed sarcoidosis at the same time. Initially was told warfarin for 6 months for first PE but after 6 months saw another conaultant who then said life long as they did not know the cause of the PE.  We kept pushing for answers and ended up with our Dr referring us to a more senior consultant at adenbrookes and he was like a breath of fresh air. Put things in simple terms and gave my husband all the information and guidance to make a sensible decision. He took my husband off warfarin for 4 weeks and then did a d dimer blood test on the understanding that if he came baxk as high risk he would remain on warfarin as it would be the most sensible and wise option. Test was completed and he came back as extremely low andbthe consultant advised no more warfarin and to take 150mg of asparin a day. He also said he believed the undiagnosed sarcoidosis was the cause of the Pe. A18  months and 5 consultants and my husband is finally getting his life back. My advice is there is such varying degrees of opinion between consultant s that ask until you find one that you feel completely secure with, we found the last two were great and filled us with confidence. Had my husband come back as high we would have respected their opinion and he would be on warfarin still as they had our complete trust. Hope this helpsand all the best sarah

• Posted

Thankyou for your response Sarah. It sounds like you and your husband have had a positive outcome which can only be a good thing, and no doubt a great relief for you. I think i am high risk ( 2 previous DVT's and a head injury from a climbing accident ) so back to my GP and try to look at my options.
    • Posted

rob initially they told my husband he was high risk because it was unexplained however the results of his d dimer test showed him to be extremely low risk so maybe worth seeing if you can have this test again, wish you all the best sarah

• Posted

hello Sarah,

ive never had a d dimer ?? test but i  will talk to my GP. However think i know already that im probably high risk due to previous DVT. However i think warfarin is a simple pharmaceutical / medical model solution. Its an old drug that's been around for a long time and has alot of credibility for the job it does which of course is true. What im trying  to do is find alternatives which are natural, without negative side - effects. The problem is finding the right ' doctors ' with the right knowledge. 

• Posted

Hi Rob

I was on warfarin and like yourself wanted to understand the problem after three months i was taken off the tablet i was advise to blend one raw beetroot one carrott and a apple drink this daily it worked for me i have tis every morning give it a go maybe x

• Posted

Hi Jane,

thanku very much for replying to my question. Been away from my pc for quite a while, so catchin up now ! Your reply to my question about coming off warfarin sounds amazing & intriguing. However im almost 100% sure if i went to my GP and said ' right i would like now to come off warfarin & instead, everyday im going to drink a blend of raw beetroot, carrot and apple every morning he would say i was nuts & would be taking a huge risk. However  i am a fan of raw food, especially because raw food,  ive read else-where,  will be a big help in purifying /cleansing the blood ( though not really doing this diet at present due to a combination of factors, namely depression, mum just passed away, compound fracture to ankle not healed after 2 years, 7 months, very painful, stops me from doing things i enjoy etc etc ) . It would be be great to know much more detail to your approach & the background / science behind how this raw blend helps to cleanse ( i asume? ) and stop the blood from clotting. There are very serious consequenses for me, regards clotting. i.e. previous DVT and Head injury are a climbing accident. Had clotting in hospital and had to have heparin etc . .  But i would love to be able to do what you've done and also see a consultant heamatologist and get a thrombophillia screening done on my blood, which can hopefully reveal why my blood is prone to clotting. Cant do this while on warfarin. I reckon alot can be done with using food as medicine, but important to do alot of research first !  Are you still getting positive proof that your raw drink gives you the right INR for you ?   

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.