Is it possible for my WPW to return after it was corrected with surgery (13 years ago)?

Posted , 5 users are following.

I was diagnosed with WPW when I was five years old, I took medication for about 4 years until I had an ablation surgery in 2001. After my first surgery I no longer had any problems, but just three days ago I started feeling palpitations again and they have not stopped since then. I am worried that my WPW has returned. I have gone to the ER and all they told me was that I was having palpitations but they could not tell me why and scheduled me a visit to a cardiologist. I guess my question is: Is it possible for my WPW to return after it was corrected with surgery (13 years ago)? 

0 likes, 4 replies

4 Replies

• Posted

Have you had an electrophysiologist check you out again? Holter etc and monitered. What was their opinion? I know its hard not to be scared, but lets wait and see what the cause is and go from there.It may not be WPW. Ablations are usually very effective in over 80% of cases My best wishes for you Patty. 
  • Posted

It is possible for the ablated places in your heart to heal themselves. GO TO THE CARDIOLOGIST! The ER almost killed me! Literally. Immediately after my ablation I had non stop palpitations that wouldn't go away. My primary put me on Xanax (which believe it or not is used for palpitations) and now I rarely ever have them
  • Posted

Did you ever find out if it was wpw returning? my husband had ablation 15 years ago and is now having tests to see if it has returned.
  • Posted

Oh boy here we go. Well I am now 55 years old and have had  six operations so far and looks like number seven is on the cards. YES to your question it can return due to the fact the extra electrical pathway is deep seated in the flesh. In 1991 in St Barts (wow wonderful place) after having two exploratory and attempted ablation at Glasgow Royal they sent me down to St Barts. I was the first unsuccessful person and third second successful person on this new machine. All done he said but twenty years later it came back and now it is being a complete pain by not wanting to be got rid of. I call them my jumps which can last from around 15 minutes each to just under an hour (that one freaked me out to be honest). I have never been on a forum accept motorbike ones but it is nice to put this if it helps anyone. I have learnt some bits about this over the last 30 odd years. Just moved to a new area and my local gp said oh you still have a licence then. I was kind of taken aback to be fair and muppet came to mind also. I have bought my own ECG machine to live record the events of just recent events and it wow fantastic, it was recommended by St Barts to be fair but they are trying new apps on your smart phone also to make it cheaper and easier to record. It is nice to put this down you know.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.