Is it possible to be reinfested with scabies 3 weeks after treatment?

Posted , 3 users are following.

This discussion has been locked due to a period of inactivity.

I was diagnosed with scabies about a month ago and I did the treatment of permethrin cream once, waited 7 days, then again. I was also very diligent about washing my clothes and bedding in hot water. It seemed to work and although I had occasional small red itchy bumps, it seemed to just be post-scabies syndrome and I tried not to be paranoid that I had gotten it again.

However, a couple days ago, about 3 weeks after the treatment, the red bumps started getting itchier and more frequent and got very noticeable especially right after I shower. Even when I had full on scabies I couldn't tell whether there were burrows and I don't know now either, but I am very worried.

0 likes, 3 replies

3 Replies

• Posted

Amanda - the short answer is Yes. You probably didn't get rid of them. As a veteran sufferer of two years, I advise you to treat yourself for longer period, more often and more thoroughly than you have done. Beat them now. You don't want a chronic situation like mine (that was not diagnosed until about 12 months after I first got it). I could not see tunnels - no-one could - until I used remedies. To see better, buy a magnifying glass (10X). Or better still, take photographs and blow them up on a large computer screen. You will see the tunnels then - with debris. I found by accident when observing one sore photo that my whole body is actually littered with black dots under the skin from dead scabies matter. By the way, I have no actual itching but I do sometimes feel one feeding on me for a few seconds, several hours apart and in the same place - in such cases, rub plenty of permethrin cream in. If you have the opportunity, try infra-red sauna treatment (see post by Elder..) Good luck.

• Posted

Thank you so much for your answer! Do you have any advise on how to treat my clothes/bedding/towels with long term scabies so I don't get reinvested? Thank you again.

• Posted

I claim no particular expertise, but remember that scabies cannot live for more than 2-3 days off the body. So clothes can be put in bags/isolated. Shoes/handbags/chairs.... too. Dryness helps kill them faster. People use various nasty products on other surfaces, but I rather doubt that they are a problem (toilet seat excepted). Scabies spend so little time NOT under the skin. Also scabies cannot survive >50 degreesC, so hot washing should be enough. If you have the body properly covered, there is nowhere for the surviving scabies to feed, so I think that washing clothes and bedding incessantly with various chemicals is not the answer. Rather, time the washing to maximise the efficacy of the body treatment.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.