Is it possible to feel the change of your TSH levels?

Posted , 3 users are following.

Back in November my cycle became really off beat, 3 weeks, 2 weeks, then weekly. I was tired. My head was foggy. Moody. I'm unsure if my bowels were normal or not because to me it was the norm. When I went to the Dr they did a test and my TSH levels came back within normal range, 2.97, so they did nothing but a med to help my cycle jump back to normal. Over the next several months I still didn't feel right. One Dr said follicular cysts and it's normal, and another said nothing was wrong with me. I had put on 30 pounds despite diet and exercise (4 x a week at least). I went to a nutrionist, and they were stumped too. During this time another Dr told me I was fat and constipated and if I lost 10% body fat everything would go back to normal. I am too heavy but not generally a big girl. I decided to go to a weight loss clinic, 7 months later, for some help in losing weight since my PCM wasn't helping me find out what was going on. They did a blood test before anything and say my TSH levels were 8.94 and started me on meds. I sent the lab results to my PCM and he doesn't think I should have been started on meds. I am awaiting a follow up with him at the moment.

But now that you have my story, what stage do you feel the symptoms of your thyroid levels change? Is that considered a drastic change? Did the rise in my TSH cause my cyst issue or the other way around?

There's no known family history of Thyroid diseases. I have done all sorts of research on anything and wveruthing, but I have no answers either way. Any help or guidance is greatly appreciated.

I accidently posted this in the hyperthyroidism forum. Hopefully I can get some help here.

0 likes, 5 replies

5 Replies

• Posted

For myself...  I start to feel bad when my TSH is around 5.00, even at 4.00, I start to feel yucky..
    • Posted

Is it possible that I felt the difference in the beginning, like when I had originally told the Dr something wasn't right? I'm sure it's not too far fetched, I am generally in tune with my body and know when something isn't right...

• Posted

Hi Janet, get yourself to an endocrinologist and get a full thyroid panel blood test done.   TSH above 2 along with hypothyroid aymotoms can indicate thyroid disease. The fact that your TSH is bouncing all over the place indicates thyroid disease. As this sporadic thyroid level often happens as thyroid disease advances. It's like the thyroid gland is sputtering before it really wears out.

Also, although irregular cycles are not listed in hypothyroid symptoms, I've found that specifically double periods are an indicator for me when my thyroid is super out of whack. What you describe is likely advanced thyroid disease. TSH does not always spike with advanced thyroid disease, so you'll need further testing. You need an endocrinologist who can look at the big picture and consider all your tests and symptoms.

• Posted

Thank you. When I do get to see my Dr I will ask for a referral. Is that 7 month span a big change or a common occurance with people with thyroid issues?
    • Posted

Hi Janet, my TSH never seemed to show very high, even though I have advanced thyroid disease. I had a really good endocrinologist for a while, who explained to me that it's normal with thyroid disease for thyroid function to vary, and in fact, people can often  show mildly hyperthyroid during the progression of thyroid disease, as the thyroid gland functions very sporadically. I didn't have my thyroid tested frequently prior to advanced disease, however, I'd had various  puts and remission of thyroid disease for nearly 20 years before it really went haywire.

Stress, diet, exercise and other factors play a role in thyroid function and you can take action to curb thyroid disease progression.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.