is It possible to get vertigo 2-3 months after flying?

Posted , 2 users are following.

I’m trying to figure out what caused my vertigo in December 2016 and February 2017. One of the reasons that I can think of is from plane rides. I’ve read about people having vertigo right when they come off a plane or maybe a day or two after flying. But is it possible to get vertigo 2-3 months after flying on a plane? Or is that impossible?

So I flew on a plane October 10, 2016 to go to Florida. I flew back home October 16, 2016. I felt fine during the trip and after the trip I was fine. 

Then during the night of December 2, 2016, I woke up suddenly and my bedroom felt like it was spinning. I felt fine the night before and was fine when I went to bed that night. 

Is it a possibility that I was having vertigo that December night due to flying on plane in October? Can you get vertigo a month and half later after flying??

But also, on December 2, 2016 I had to wake up anyways to get on a plane to fly. The vertigo feeling went away and I actually felt fine on the plane. And I felt fine throughout the day.

But the next morning, December 3,2016 I woke up and it felt like the hotel room was spinning. And this time I felt nauseous and had to throw up alittle. And that whole day I didn’t feel good, so I stayed in my hotel room the whole day.

December 5, 2016 I flew home that day and I felt fine on the plane and felt fine when I got home.

So the next couple months I didn’t have any vertigo.

But then February 28, 2017, during the night I woke up and had the spinning sensation again. So now is it possible that I got vertigo again that February night because I flew on a plane in December?? It’s approximately 3 months apart.

I’m scared to fly on a plane now so I haven’t flown this year and I don’t think I ever want to fly again.

0 likes, 3 replies

3 Replies

• Posted

Hello,

?I would see a doctor called a neuro-otologist.  They specialize in inner ear and they might be able to help diagnose you.  There's something people can get after flying or being on a ship called MDDS (Mal de Débarquement Syndrome ?).  I hope you feel better.

Nicole

• Posted

So it’s possible to develop MDDS 2-3 months after being on a plane?
    • Posted

I don't know, that seems like a long time.  Have you talked to the doctor yet?

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.