Is it possible to have an STD with normal urine analysis and nothing growing in culture?

Posted , 3 users are following.

Greetings

1 month ago I received unprotected oral from a csw. 2 days later I took 1mg azytromycin plus 400 mg cefixime, just in case.

A few days later I started taking AB (amox-clav) for a tooth infection.

10 days later I had balanitis, redness and small pimples dispersed all arround the glans. I tought it could be trush from the ABs.

I started using clotrimazole and a week or so later was mostly gone, altough it left some marks and a rougher skin. At the same time I started having lower abdominal and sometimes pubic pain.

I took general blood tests, urine analysis and urine culture, all normal (no blood, no leukocytes, no nitrites, nothing abnormal). Didn't take specific std exams.

I had similar symptoms before, took a lot of ABs but the urologist never got to any conclusion, we talked about chronic prostatitis and chronic pelvic pain syndrome but over the months the symptoms mostly disapeared.

The question here is on the title of the post:

Even with the ABs I took, can I have an STD with normal urine analysis and no growth on culture?

I'm not sick worried, but the symptoms are still here...

0 likes, 8 replies

8 Replies

• Edited

azithrimycin is for clamydia and the other is for gonorrhea so it would treat those two if u had either of those..... to then take amoxicillin on top could have caused an overgrowth of yeast as antibiotics are known to cause fungal infections so that is most likely the cause of the penis issues which stds did u test for did u test for trich and mycoplasma ? if u have tested for all stds your issues are not std related and something else is the cause if u are having pain in the pubic area and pelvis u should request an ultrasound to check that theres nothing else going on

• Posted

just read u didnt specifically test for stds that should have been your first port of call antibiotics should only be taken if u actually have an infection as if u get either chlamydia or gonorrhea later on in life the antibiotics may not work to treat it should always test first and if get a positive test then treat it

• Posted

I didnt test for any specific std, I prevented those 2 and did general blood tests, general urine analysis and urine culture and all was normal, I dont really have the means to test for the other 2, but I find strange that any of those could cause abdominal pain on such short time window, also I have no discharge from the urethra.

• Posted

general blood and urine would not detect stds if u had one u would have to have a test for chlamydia gonorrhea etc etc blood tests would also not detect herpes or anything std related the tests you have had are just general tests and not to find stds

• Posted

stds can cause abdominal pain and pelvic pain in both men and women but u have treated yourself for those so that is unlikely the case unless it was another std u dont always get discharge with stds and sometimes no symptoms at all your pain needs investigating further by ultrasound etc

• Posted

thank you very much for your feedback, I will think on what to do

• Posted

if u only had unprotected oral the chances of it being chlamyida and gonorrhea are pretty much 0 as its not passed on via saliva its passed on by vaginal fluids and seamen unprotected sex and anal sex the only thing u would be at risk of is herpes and things that are passed on via skin to skin contact the only person at risk of getting chlamydia or gonorrhea would be the person who was giving u oral

• Posted

just a bit of info, I have seen some people on here, who were healthy no issues, not even sexually active, and they took antibiotics for a totally different reason, and then they got balanitis. So messing with the balance of microbes ,appears (from some accounts on here , I am not a doctor) , to create the conditions for balanitis

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.