is it possible to have better than 20/20 vision with contacts?

Posted , 4 users are following.

for example if my prescription is -3.00 (assuming this gives me 20/20), will bumping the prescription to -3.25 give me better vision?

Or will bumping the prescription give me better far vision but it will make my closer vision blurry?

0 likes, 2 replies

2 Replies

• Posted

It is very possible to have better than 20/20 on the basis that one can easily have a visual acuity of 6/5 (based on the Snellen scale where 6/6 equates to 20/20 - metres versus feet). However, increasing the prescription unneccesarily is likely to give you a headache and make your eyes worse as they adjust to it. I am not sure what you are trying to achieve. I suggest you speak with your optician. When I wore contacts in my 20s I found that my eyesight was better than with glasses, this was before I grew old and needed a different prescription for close vision. Hope this helps.
  • Posted

No , i dont believe it will. The lens is there simply to focus the incoming light correctly so that it hits the back of the eye at the correct point of focus. The next bit of actually seeing and interpreting those light signals is a function of the physical structure of the eye, the macula, the retina and is surface structure and nervous connections.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.