Is it possible to have gout with less pain?

Posted , 5 users are following.

Last Thursday night the joint in my big toe gave a twinge and within a few hours the joint was red, swollen and painful to touch. I googled and the symptoms were typical for gout except the pain never went beyond 7 or 7.5/10 (I did not rush to painkillers but have had some ibuprofen and panadol.) Three days on the joint is still red, swollen and painful but no worse than it was. I have been walking on it although the joint does not appreciate being in a shoe but I have just put up with the extra discomfort. Everything I have read says that the pain from gout is excruciating. Does my lesser experience suggest that what I have is not gout?

0 likes, 6 replies

6 Replies

• Posted

Yes you can have mild pain...although be mindful as it could turn into a real flare up.

Drink water,  celery, cherry active, nettle tea

Stay off the grains, beer and sugar 

• Posted

Yes, you can have real gout and it's "only" a 7 out of 10.

Until it gets worse …

That sounds like classic gout.  Act accordingly.

• Posted

Look up the research on celery seed extract, 75 mg taken twice a day, with 85 % 3Nb (the stuff that makes it work for gout).  It is cheap and it has been very promising, reducing gout pain by over 68 per cent in two studies.
    • Posted

If you keep getting attacks I would go to a doctor because untreated gout can cause joint damage.  Have your uric acid tested.  But the celery seed extract sounds promising.
  • Posted

Thanks so much. My doctor thinks it is gout. I'm on cochinice and will have a blood test once the episode resolves. Thanks again for your advice

• Posted

High potency bromelain (GDU > 2800) makes any gout pain go away quickly, when combined with colchicine usually big toe pain is gone in less than an hour, from my experience. I surprised more people haven't tried it.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.