Is it possible to have Trigger Finger in 2 Fingers at the same time?

Posted , 4 users are following.

I was diagnosed with stenosing tenosynovitis (trigger finger) on my left index finger just over a week ago and I’m waiting to have surgery at some point in the next 3 weeks. However for the past two days my thumb has been really painful as well. Is the thumb just painful because of the proximity to the injured index finger or could it be the same thing but on the thumb. Surly I couldn't be that unlucky. Anyone know?

Elle.

0 likes, 9 replies

9 Replies

• Posted

You have had it a week why are your docs jumping straight to surgery

First are you sure it is trigger finger rather than just arthritis , does the finger jump.  Normally docs wait and watch for a while sometimes splinting the finger to see if rest helps, then you  have  a cortisone injection possibly followed by a second a few months later.  If none of that works then surgery as a last resort 

If it were arthritis then getting in on plus one finger wouldnt be too unusual

I have all sorts of athritis in my non dominant hand but only one finger triggers

I am  a patient not a doctor but to me it sounds too much intervention too soon

Happy to help more if I can

• Posted

I've had trigger finger twice now, first time i had the cortisone injection but it only worked for two months. The hopital is sure it's trigger finger not arthritis, im 17 which is why they want to opperate on it soon. There are other problems that the trigger finger has caused. I was just wondering why my thumb hurts as well.
  • Posted

Ah OK that was not clear.  Good luck let us kniow how you get on
  • Posted

I had trigger thumb some years ago .Annoying and uncomfortable .However I had a cortisone injection into the thumb joint which cured it for some month .It did return but I did have a second injections which completely cured it ,so I don't understand why you sre waiting for an op .
  • Posted

Elle, I experienced trigger thumb early last year and went to the local walk-in centre.  They suggested splinting it.....but didn't have any splints!  I then saw a GP who offered me those little wooden sticks they stick in your mouth to check your throat suggesting that perhaps I could make the splints out of those!!  I then attended a meeting with a rheumatologist present who said if he'd had his needles with him he would have injected into the base of the thumb.  I then went to see my pharmacis, explained what was happening with my thumb and told him what had been suggested - he laughed, saying that both he and his brother had at different times experienced trigger fingers and they got better on their own.....eventually.  So I put up with my thumb triggering and having to straighten it without any treatment and it returned to normal of its own accord although it did take a few months.  I don't understand why surgery is being considered for you at this stage.  Try tackling your diet by including lots of oily fish which is very helpful with inflammation. 
    • Posted

Hi, thanks for taking the time to write to me. Surgery is the best option, I'm happy with my decision to go ahead with it, I'm not prepared to have a paralysed finger for months. What I want to know is if it's possible to get trigger finger in two separate fingers it at the same time.
    • Posted

Elle, it is possible for two fingers to be affected.  If you're in a job where you're working on a computer all day, then that may be aggravating the situation.
  • Posted

hi elle85225.

I have just had surgery on my thumb r/hand for trigger thumb but know you can have it in more than one digit as i had surgery on my l/hand before last xmas on both my index finger and thumb.Before the surgeon did my op's he gave me a steroid injection in all affected digits.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.