Is it possible to have type 2 diabetes without glucose in urine test?

Posted , 4 users are following.

How possible is it to have type 2 diabetes if I had a urine test (done in lab) negative for glucose?

how

0 likes, 3 replies

3 Replies

• Posted

Hi Tom,

Do you have symptoms?

My hubby had a heart attack in February, he has never had any symptoms of diabetes but the doctors put him on metformin saying he was diabetic. A nurse told us after a heart attack glucose levels can rise but return to normal after 3 months. Instead of lowering the dose the cardiologist increased it. He has now developed a tumour in his bladder, which I believe is from the metformin.

I would say use your own inititive, do not believe everything you are told, doctors make mistakes and even more importantly drugs cause damage to your body especially if your are more sensitive to them.

• Posted

Urine tests are pretty much obsolete, by how many decades it's hard to say, but certainly a BG finger-stick blood test like millions of people do at home is much more accurate, and can be repeated before and after meals, etc, to get at more complex cases.

Given all that - why do you ask?

An A1C test is much better. These too can be done at home with a finger stick but cost a bit more, but are certainly doable in a doctor's office or as part of a blood panel. A1C gives you an average over the last 90 days.

Then there are further diagnostic tests.

Has anyone else even seen a urine glucose test in the last ten, twenty years???

• Posted

you can still have type 2 diabetes even if negative for glucose in urine as it is not diagnosed by urine test, only blood tests. Glucose in urine is a sign of out of control diabetes as theres so much in the blood it has now 'spilt over' into urine too! so ignore that test and have a fasting glucose blood test and Hba1c. and of course discuss your symptoms with your doctor

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.