Is it possible to hve bleeding/diarrhea without it being a flare?

Posted , 5 users are following.

Hi, so everything was going really well since i was initially diagnosed, finally got solid stools, and have been going once a day. However, now is of a couple of days a go, ive progressively got looser until today where its full blown diarrhea where ive posted a bit of blood.

I'm so disheartened and its really stressed me out.

However, urgency and frequency dont seem to have increased? I dont know if i should double my medication as my nurse said i should only do that if i have increased frequency for more than 3 days - however, i hve got bleeding??? its the weekend so i cant contact anyone and dont know what to do.

0 likes, 7 replies

7 Replies

• Posted

Hi - what medication are you talking about doubling? Mesalazine or prednisone?

It can be quite normal to get some blood outside of a flare when you have UC. Only a real issue if you have diahorrea, high frequency and a lot of blood.

Don’t panic.

• Posted

I'm on Mesalazine, i've just tapered off of the steroids, so my biggest fear is that the Mesalazine isn't going to work for me medication wise sad - its the first meds my doctors have put me on since being diagnosed last month. 

What scared me is that my nurse said to me that you want to prevent getting blood as once the bleeding comes, sometimes it's harder to get into remission - maybe she was referring to full blown bleeding - like you say - a lot of blood.

I think its just super disheartening going back to loose stools today and yesterday after having such a good couple of weeks before. 

Does diahorrea only really count as diahorrea if you're going more than 3 times? As when i noticed the streaks of blood, it was in a liquid/mushy stool but i've only been once today. 

• Posted

Be patient. Getting stressed about it will only exacerbate the UC. If you have only gone once that is good. Frequency is the key. Minor blood can be consistent even in remission. I worry more when it is yellow mucas mixed with blood or just pure blood. 

Sometimes what you or stress can drive it. 

It has taken me years to work out how to control it. I am permanently on Masalazine (Pentasa) but not certain it helps at all. Mezzavant makes me worse so I switched away from it.

Don’t panic, see your Dr next week to get some advice.

• Posted

Unfortunately UC can behave like that, one day seemingly fine and the next not! I would hesitate about doubling the meds until speaking to a professional. It needn't be a flare, just your intestines reacting to certain foods. I keep a diary of what reactions to foodstuffs I have. I have suffered UC for 7 years and learnt to deal with it but I'm up and down most days. I have reacted badly to some drugs, probably tried most over the years and find that side frets can sometimes be worse than the complaint. It's a horribke condition and I can only advise you to try not to stress or get anxious! Eat little and often, stay hydrated, get fresh air and exercise and come Monday call your GP or nurse for advice! I wish you luck!

• Posted

Why take meds if they don't work? I have been taking slippery elm and elimination diet I am now in remission I wish you well.

• Posted

Can you brief me on this elimination diet? I'm bleeding slightly daily for 2 months, with some urgency of diarrhea along with 6 asacol pills daily, a morning probiotic/ probiotic formula shake with highest vsl among other supplements.

Thanks

• Posted

Please read as side effects in my reply! Misspelling!

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.