Is it possible to start a family with CFS?

Posted , 4 users are following.

I just was wondering if anyone has experience with starting a family when you suffer from CFS. 

0 likes, 11 replies

11 Replies

• Posted

hi rose. i know of ppl who got pregnant and their ME/CFS got better - possibly coz of the extra hormones. sadly, i've also known ppl whose CFS/ME got worse after they got pregnant. so it's a bit of lottery how it might affect you.

good luck whatever you do.

Caitlin

• Posted

It's just a worry I have when I want to fall pregnant. I'm not ready now as I'm dependent on the medication to help relieve my symptoms and pain. Do you know if they were still on their medication?
    • Posted

no, they had come off their meds. apart from thyroxine which one of them was on. what meds are u on?

Caitlin

• Posted

well, it's best to wait until u don't need them. i take it u have bad fibromyalgia. it's not good to come off any of these meds 'cold turkey'. it needs to be done gradually with the help of the GP or other qualified health practitioner.

Caitlin

• Posted

I tried to get off amytriptaline and it gave me bad withdrawal symptoms. I have not been diagnosed with fibromyalgia but I'm convinced I have it also because I have sore tender points all over my body. My fear is that I won't be able to get off the meds.

Thanks for your advice Caitlin. 

• Posted

hi rose. the important thing is not to become preoccupied with what might never happen in the future. there's a number of nutritional supplements and anti-anxiety techniques that can be employed when u are ready to come off the amytriptaline. many ppl with fibromyalgia are given amytriptaline for the muscle/nerve pain. you need time, support & nutritional substitutes to help u ease off the meds when u feel ready ur ready to try it. self-belief and the conviction that u can do it always helps.

Caitlin

• Posted

Hi.

I have a 11yo and 5yo.

It's not easy as kids are energy demanding and don't undestand.

If you have great support etc it makes all the difference.

• Posted

Yes I need to be more positive. Thank Caitlin and Gregh
  • Posted

Yes I have, My children are now 9 & 6 yrs old.  My kids are great and really accept my disabilities, although constantly wise I would get better.  I have a really good support team of my husband and mother-in-law, without them i would really struggle as I don't have the energy to cook a meal and then eat it.

It does depend how badly you are affected by your M.E./cfs and you do need to allow for getting worse (which I have been doing over the last 3 years).

If I was as bad as I am now (I am medically labelled as having severe M.E.) we would have had to really consider having children.  Very young children/babies are extremely physically demanding and mentally demanding.  My energy level wouldn't be high enough at the moment and my reactions aren't quick enough now.  I wouldn't trust myself holding a baby/young child now because they weigh alot and because you need quick reactions to stop them being injuryed when they suddenly do something dangerous.

My pregancies did excellerate my condition unfortunately.  Some new symptoms appeared during pregnancy then disappeared to reappear worse a few years later.  Now I appear stuck with them.

I would always advise, do you think you could look after a young child safely and take them out and about alot now with your condition?  Also could you still if your condition got worse?  Do you have a strong family team around you who could look after you and the child/children if you got worse?

Children are fantastic but they are physically, mentally and emotionally demanding.  Can you give them what they need?  If you can then go for it xx

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.