Is it possible to start feeling depressed two years after a stroke?

Posted , 4 users are following.

My dad had a brain stem stroke two years ago. The first six months were the most difficult since he needed help all the time. After that he started driving and working normally and he was feeling good overall. When the stroke happened we also discovered that he had diabetes and high blood pressure. Because of that he takes a lot of pills. One year after the stroke we started to notice that he wasn't as happy as he used to be. Since he didn't even consider the possibility of going to a therapist his neurologist prescribed him Lexapro. I think it helped but now, two years after the stroke, I think he is depressed. He says that his legs hurt sometimes and often says that he doesn't feel like doing the things he used to love and he prefers staying home that going out. He is only 57 and I don't know what to do. I try to cheer him up but sometimes it's very hard to do so and I get very frustrated. I've noticed that his blood pressure is very low sometimes, like 10/6. Maybe that's the reason why he feels like sitting/lying down all the time? Can anybody help me?

Thanks,

Concerned daughter

0 likes, 2 replies

2 Replies

• Posted

Do mean 100/60 for his BP?

Yes - it sounds as though he is suffering with depression. Maybe see if the lexapro dose can be increased.

Has he completely recovered from the stroke neurologically?

• Posted

Hi br123,

I think it is possible that he is depressed. Because he does not do the things he used to do. That is what i am feeling too. I had a mild stroke last january and i have somehow lost confidence in what i do. I can still do most things normally but i am not as energetic as before. There is that feeling of frustration. So i think your father feels the way too. I am also 57 yrs old. What i am afraid most is when the stroke will recur again. Maybe yoyr dad feels the same way. A low blood pressure could also be the reason because low bp makes you feel tired most of the time. Ask your father sincerely and let him express how he is handling his situation. Talk to him as frequently as you can because it helps. I hope he will get better.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.