Is it possible with exercise and diet, to lose weight whilst on Mirtazapine

Posted , 7 users are following.

I've been on them now for two months, and I've put on about 8 pounds. If I watch what I eat and up my activity, is it possible to lose weight whilst on them?

0 likes, 8 replies

8 Replies

• Posted

crag

Most of these medications can cause weight gain. I have a triple wammy Pain medications, NSIDs and AD all cram on the pounds and now I have in all intents and purposes now eat healthy and still put up my weight.

We are all different and if activity works for you go and do it. It will at least alter your mood and stop some of the Depression and you feel

Keep a hold

• Posted

Yes, if you watch your diet, you can lose the weight! Exercise helps too! To me if the meds help me to feel better the heck with the few extra pounds!
    • Posted

Good luck with that enjoy your exercise and keep taking the tablets lol
  • Posted

Hi Crag,  I know what you mean with weight gain.

You NEED to count your calories now. I gained a ton of weight from celexa it was a nightmare.  I lost it, Im on welbutrin now.

But, I went onto myfitness pal and logged in everything I ate.

You have to REALLY WATCH now what you eat. The drug caused your appetite to increase. gl

• Posted

Cheers for that. Counting calories is automatic, for me, even when I'm overeating, I still like to know how many I've had. I better start reducing them, then, but quite a few people on here have said they eat less and exercised, but still couldn't lose the weight?!

So I'm worried that weight gain is inevitable.

• Posted

Hi, I think there must be a way not to gain weight.

Don't eat too little because you will completely screw up your metabolism "at rest."

Are you count every single calorie? I didn't notice how many extra calories I was eating till I actually wrote them down. For example, a candy or drink at someone's house that I forgot about...

But if you are really spot on with the counting, ask your doctor.  Maybe it cause water retintion or something.

• Edited

Hi Crag. I found I started to gain weight when I got to 40mg of this drug. It also had me so knocked out most of the day.. but I was still awake.. unable to open my eyes. I gained around 21lbs while on it.

As soon as I stopped this drug (I was on a few so I'm confident it was the Mirt) the weight staretd to fall off me. My eating went back to normal and I got the confidence to start my Insanity fitness DVDs again. Within about 3 months I was back to normal.

Mirtazapine alters you appertite, causes water retention and also screws you metabolism. So It's a difficult drug to win against in terms of weight gain.

In terms of water retention, just be aware that the less you drink the more fluids your body will retain. Also the less you eat (just eat a healthy amount of clean healthy foods) the more fat you'll retain from your foods. This is beacuse you body will enter a staravtion mode. The staravtion mode is more easily 'activated' if you metabolism is lowered and your appetite increased.

Just try to eat healthy and move a little more. I know the moving exercise part is much easier said than done when feeling out of sorts and sleepy. Walking may be a good starting point? Good Luck with everything.

• Posted

Thanks for the advice everyone.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.