Is it problematic to take Naltrexone in anticipation of drinking but then not to drink?

Posted , 5 users are following.

I am going to an event where there may or may not be alcohol and I am hoping to take Naltrexone  as a safety precaution before hand. Is this possible to do if I end up not drinking there?

I appreciate your help and am grateful to have found this group!

0 likes, 6 replies

6 Replies

• Posted

Hi loobug

Cannot say definitively as I am not a doc, but I'm sure my Hubby has been advised that nothing will happen its just a waste of a tablet

Hope this helps

Regards

JulieAnne

• Posted

You will be fine, don't feel compelled to Drink because you have taken Naltrexone, there is no waste here, just more power to your elbow, it's a win win. AL

• Posted

Hi,

Thank you for the kind words, Loobug, I appreciate that a lot.

It isn't medically damaging or anything if you take the naltrexone and end up not drinking, but try not to do it very often.  There are two reasons why I say this....

Firstly, it means that you are blocking the endorphins from any activity that you do instead of drinking, and remember that the idea of TSM is that you allow your brain to realise that it is alcohol that is associated with the endorphin block and lack of reward.

Secondly, to take the tablet presumably means that you experienced a craving or an urge to drink.  Taking the tablet is not curative on it's own and won't take you a step nearer finally extinguishing all of your cravings.  This only happens with the combination of naltrexone and alcohol BUT the good news is that it only takes one drink to release the endorphins and move you nearer your end goal. 

Best to use the opportunity to take the one drink and be able to practise the mindful drinking part of TSM by then not continuing to drink.  Success stacks success and builds confidence in your drinking control by doing this, too!

In this situation that you are approaching, it is absolutely the best thing to do to take the medication 'just in case'.

• Posted

Thanks Joanna

Great reply as usual. You've reminded me of a few good bits of advice there

Loved the new video, don't know what you were worried about. Well delivered. Keep em coming

Hubby is doing really well. I agree with your earlier comment it was so wonderful that he could join in with a proper toast at my Son's wedding. Our lives are completely different now thanks to TSM and your fantastic support

JulieAnne xx

• Posted

Thank you Joanna and to all of you for your helpful responses.  It's a relief to know I can take it as a precaution.  I will make sure to be careful in doing so and try not to do it often.

I appreciate your help and I am grateful to have found this group.  I sincerely hope TSM will work for me.  I am on Day 4.  So far it seems to be working and I notice a difference when taking it in that I definitely do not feel the "satisfaction" I had previously when drinking.  That being said...I also feel a mild sense of loss?? I am generally an evening drinker and it is my stress relief--it seems that euphoria of the first "ahhhh" is gone.  I am going to have to train myself to accept this as it is better than the usual outcome which leads to continued drinking after the first glass or two.  I do not want to have to rely on alcohol at all.

• Posted

Such an amazing and reply as usual Joanna! What a service you provide!

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.