Is it really Costochondritis

Posted , 5 users are following.

Can costochondritis cause shortness of breathe and chest pressure. I've had a full cardiac workup and everything came back good. I was diagnosed with chestwall pain/costochondritis. My symptoms are extreme chest pressure and pain in the center of chest, heart fluttering, and pain in the ribs under both breast

0 likes, 4 replies

4 Replies

• Posted

I have the same daily behind my breastbone ribs constantly feel bruised awful shoulder blade pain gets you down
  • Posted

My Costo/Tietze does cause shortness of breath because my breathing pattern changes because taking normal breaths hurts too bad so I only take shallow breaths. The chest pressure comes from the inflammation of the sternum that comes along with the Costo. I also have palpitations due to the amount of pain I am in during a really bad flare. My pain is however, isolated to one side only - my left side. It is always best to be safe and see your doctor to make sure you don't have something more serious going on.

• Posted

Yes all your symptoms are ok the heart flutter is due to pressure on nerves just rest as much as you can cold packs and Olbas Oil or Tiger Balm try not to stress I know that you are but it takes time I have acupuncture by a very good chiropractor it works wonders try it
  • Posted

Hi,

A few months ago i was told by a dr that I have Costocondritis. I had my pain in the same places you described but what drove me insane was the chest pressure! It was like constantly being squeezed, ugh! Anyways, the dr said to just take ibuprofen to ease the inflammation and that eventually it would go away. Well it did.... But recently I've noticed a little bit of the pressure again, especially when I get stressed out or raise my voice for any reason (it feels different than just regular stress chest pain) and I also have this weird sensation like someones tickling their fingers against the inside of my breast bone...I know, it sounds weird. I'm thankful I'm not in horrible pain like so many people describe, but still, the pressure and the overall weird feelings I have in my chest make me feel "unwell" and I worry sometimes that maybe it's not Costocondritis but something else since I dont have the pain so much anymore like everyone else (I did have an EKG and a chest x-ray and they said it all looked fine). I do feel sometimes like my breathing is affected, like it's just harder to get the air in and out but I wouldn't call it shortness of breath necessarily since I can still do a cardio class at the gym without any problem.

Idk...its weird. I don't know what to do about it. I fluctuate all the time about wether I should just try to ignore it or go back to the dr and ask for more tests. Sigh...

Idk if any of this "helps" you..just figured I throw it out there.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.