Is it really just anxiety?

Posted , 6 users are following.

I am 14 (15 at Christmas) and for a while (even over a year) I had random pains in my arms and chest. About 2 weeks ago they got really bad and I have them every day. I went to the doctors and they said its just anxiety. I wasn't convinced although I do worry. I have literally every symptom of a heart attack apart from being sick. I went to the hospital and they just said go back to the doctors but I had been the day before so I didn't go. My dad then took me to another hospital and they weighed me,checked my blood pressure,pulse,listened to my heart and lungs,did a chest X-ray and an ECG (a short one). They said I was fine but the pains are just going to other parts of my body like my neck and I'm thinking even more I am going to have a heart attack but everyone is telling me I am not going to.. Also for the past few nights I have nearly stopped breathing in my sleep and wake up having to take a deep breath and control my breathing. I know that anxiety can cause all of this but I don't see how this is anxiety..this is ruining my life.

0 likes, 15 replies

15 Replies

• Posted

Hi Amy! Poor you! Anxiety isn't good.I suggest you get a close friend who you can talk to.Try & relax more.I very much doubt if your having a heart attack! Get early nights,fresh air.Swimming is good.Also Reflexology & Aromatherapy also good.Try & think positive thought.Regards Amanda
    • Posted

Thankyou,I'm trying to convince myself it is just anxiety but then at the same time I'm not sure. I was thinking of doing swimming but was worried incase I really did have a heart problem. Reading what other people on here say helps because it reassures me that it is probably anxiety and the have similar or the same symptoms.x
  • Posted

Hi Amy. .may you describe the feeling you have in your chest?I'm also facing the same health anxiety over my heart..I'm 23..same like you everyone says I am fine and healthy but I can't seem to believe it. Though I'mgetting much better now..for me it has been 6 months
    • Posted

I can be watching tv and get random sharp pains in the left side of my chest and ribs. Sometimes it isn't like a stabbing pain though. It is also in the top of my back sometimes inbetweeners my shoulders and I have a kind of aching/pain in my arms and sometimes my legs,it's horrible and I don't know what to believe,hopefully it's not actually anything serious.
    • Posted

Yup I get those too..don't worry it's all anxiety. .I have had 5 ecgs done and blood test taken docs says I'm healthy. .don't worry..you're too young for such illnesses..are you by nature a worrier?
    • Posted

I haven't had any blood tests. I don't really know what I could be worrying about so that's why I don't see how it is anxiety.
  • Posted

I have all these symptoms too, I've been to the hospital and had the same tests as you as well as a blood test. My doctor said the same, it's anxiety. I sympathise with you when you say it's ruining your life and that you don't think anxiety can cause this sort of stuff, but I'm still trying to accept that that's all it is. It's hard, I know. We just have to find a way I guess rolleyes
    • Posted

I can be watching tv and get random sharp pains in the left side of my chest and ribs. Sometimes it isn't like a stabbing pain though. It is also in the top of my back sometimes inbetweeners my shoulders and I have a kind of aching/pain in my arms and sometimes my legs,it's horrible and I don't know what to believe,hopefully it's not actually anything serious.
    • Posted

Inbetween my shoulders* haha.
  • Posted

Hi amy I am no doctor but can assure you this is anxiety. The chances of you having a heart attack at your age are very very rare. I'm 47 and have suffered with anxiety for over 20 years and believe me I have all the symptoms you have. I wake up most nights gasping for air like I have stopped breathing in my sleep. You can actually have a panic attack in your sleep so this is what is probably happening. I know it's very hard but please try not to worry to much as it will make it worse. Stress and anxiety are horrible things to have to deal with. If you need to chat just message me on here. Hope you have a stress free christmas snd enjoy yourself. Big hugs xx
    • Posted

Thankyou smile has it got better over the years? They really are horrible because I never know if it's actually anything serious. Thanks for your reply, it's good to know that it's just anxiety but I'm not sure how I even got it! I hope you have a good Christmas too xxx
    • Posted

Yes it can and does get better. Some people get this and no one knows why. Unfortunately it's just one of those things that many of us have to deal with xx
    • Posted

So can you just get it for no reason at all? I think that is what worries me the most because I was just told I had it but couldn't see why or how it was anxiety xx
  • Posted

amy ers see this every day. they are highly trained to identify when you are about to have a heart attack and when it is anxiety. i went through your exact problems. i didnt get better until i got an ssri and took it for a month. panic attacks can keep you from breathing. they can feel like a heart attack. they can even make you have ectopic heart beats. when you get treatment for anxiety it will go away i promise. btw i went to the er 11 times in 4 months.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.