Is it safe to binge this amount?

Posted , 11 users are following.

HI,

due to the Saint Patricks week ive been drinking a lot. Ive drank 8 pints of stout each day for the last 3 days and ill be doing the same again today. Normally i have about 8 pints a week so this is a binge. Will i be okay to drink today? Its the last day of my vacation and im a 21 year old male with a high tolerance for alchol.  My girlfriend has me paranoid haha. 

0 likes, 19 replies

19 Replies

• Posted

I'm confused, you've put "haha" at the end of your post? For people like myself who are really struggling with alcohol addiction, there is no joke about it, no "haha".

According to government statistics you are beyond self drinking limits.

All the best.

• Posted

Im sorry I really didnt mean to offend. Thank you for the reply.
    • Posted

No problem John, hope you found the advice you were looking for.
  • Posted

Well John, of course you have drunk a huge amount this week. This is not your normal drinking and I assume you don't intend to continue in this way after today. But we don't know what's going on inside us and when one drink will be one too many. The problem is we don't get any warning of our livers failing, they just suddenly can't renew themselves anymore. So chances are you might be OK today, but a high tolerance for alcohol is not a good sign, it's a sign you're getting too used to it. So the answer to your question is no, it's not ok to binge this amount and you have found a forum where we know this from bitter experience. And as BK says, it's no laughing matter. Enjoy the end of your holiday and look after yourself.
    • Posted

Thank you for the reply. yes this amount of drinking is more of a festive situation. I dont plan to drink like this continuously. Ill have to think about this for myself. Im sorry i should have been aware that sufferers of alcholism would be part of this forum. I just created this account about 30 minutes ago im not really savy to the ongoings here. Thank you very much I will.
    • Posted

If this is just a one-off thing and your heavy drinking doesn't escalate, it wouldn't say there's a huge problem, but it is a bit much. Maybe try to hold it to 4 or 5 pints, see if you can leave some in the house without going after it.
    • Posted

I think you are aware of your drinking being too much this weekend.  I think your girlfriend is good to point this out to you.  No one can assure you that you will be ok.  It brings to mind a girl I met..very young..just 22...only drank on the weekends.  One weekend she drank so much she blacked out...she didn't even know she was driving...She killed two old ladies that were sisters...and didn't remember ANYTHING.

​She said she woke up and was really P*SSED when they told her that her car was smashed and two people were killed  and she wanted to know WHO smashed her car!  

​She ended up getting 8years in prison for vehicular homicide.  We never know if we will be the ones to black out or what will happen with large amounts of alcohol.  Be careful.

• Posted

Hi John. You are the same age as one of my children so I can understand that it's what a lot of you guys do at that age. I did at your age, weekend and holidays. Do you get hangovers?

I don't think you need to worry really unless it starts to become a problem in your life. If you can just stop for several days and don't crave the next day plus you eat healthily and drink lots of water, then you haven't really got a problem. If you get aggressive or get into any kind of trouble when on a binge, then you should seek help on this site. 

So just take care and treat drinking with respect. 😀

• Posted

Hello John,

The fact that you have posted on this site is the clue.  Ha,ha, is the cloak.  St. Patrick is the excuse.  Well, that's that sorted.  You have realised that your drinking is a problem.  Good.  What to do to now?  That is quite a question.  I am of green blood, too...ha,ha ! There is an alcohol link, I'm sure. Genetic disposition? Neither of my parents were "drinkers". Both Irish.  I have a serious alcohol problem...no ha,ha...ba, ba, bad !  People on this site are wonderful in their support... well, most of them. There are always exceptions... they hurt me. I am a fragile soul. You have to think things through.  You are a young man.  Alcohol is a false friend.

Alonangel 🎇 ☘

• Posted

Hi there

I'm puzzled.   Did you have a doctor confirm that you have a high tolerance to alcohol or was it you just thought you had?  My wife broke her hip on January 1st but could not operate until her liver blood tests imporoved.  She almost died because of excessive alcohol (or booze if you like) and I'm damn lucky to still love her on this earth.  Do not use a holiday as an excuse to drink.  (By the way is it your parents, grandparents or great granparents before you use as an excuse?)

How dare you belittle your girlfriend's feelings and advice.  Quite honestly my advice to you is this; either take on board the counsel given  on this Site, listen to your girlfriend and get help, drink yourself to death but do not ever post anything on this Site for a joke. 

Pretty sure that about covers it. 

My best wishes and encouragement to all that looks at this site.

• Posted

I'm really sorry to hear about your wife. I really hope she is recovering from her op and from the demon drink now.

I do think this 21 year old guy wasn't belittling his girlfriend or wanting to offend anyone. He's just a young lad and unfortunately this is what young people do. I wish they didn't but this is part of our culture. I'm sure if he has a problem with AUD he will post again. 

Things need to change in UK regarding alcohol but then that's rather political.

Sorry but have 3 children so I know how it is. Hey ho...

Best wishes to you and your wife

• Posted

Hi John,

I bet you wished you'd never asked.

It is a lot over a short period and your body will be in a state of shock afterwards. Be prepared to feel ill for a day or two (nauseous), out of sorts, not quite up to speed with anything.

Make sure you eat something, for your body to get nutrients, not junk food, eating a little bit of proper food is far better than stuffing yourself with a takeaway. Take fluids other than alcohol, this will be really difficult like eating, as your body will tell you it is neither hungry or thirsty.

Give your body a rest from alcohol after this for a while and you should be fine. It goes with out saying, don't make a habit of it and don't get addicted to the stuff, it is easily done.

• Posted

I think a number of people were unnecessarily harsh on John.

He came here for advice, not to be told off or people have a go at him for things that have gone wrong in their own lives or a partner/relative. He is not responsible for that.

He didn't make any jibes or nasty comments, the guy is on holiday and he is young. I remember at his age, I went on an 18-30s holiday and drank a fair bit more than I usually do, in fact I was a despatch rider back then, so drinking during the week was out, during the rest of the year.

He might have been nervous about posting on here, hence a sort of nervous haha at then end. I don't think there was any malice or derogatory intent and even after he apologised people were still having a pop at him, as if things were his fault. At least he had the intelligence to come here and ask at a young age, I wish I'd had had that fore thought, I wouldn't have ended up where I did.

• Posted

Thanks RHGB. Glad someone else has commented on this over reaction. Have they forgotten what it's like to be young. Flipping eck he's only drank for 3 days!!!
    • Posted

Admittedly I thought that "haha" st the end was extremely offensive, sort of haphazard and lackadaisical - which for most of us our alcohol problems are not.

Didn't take it any further than a rebuke, wished him well, hope he finds the advice he was searching for.

• Posted

Weird as i didn't think about it or feel offended by it at all. Maybe it's because I have kids or is there something wrong with me? Ha ha!
    • Posted

There's definitely more chance of there being something wrong with me smile
    • Posted

yes he is young and great reply RHGB. His previous post did show clearly that this all new to him This is supposed to be cheerful and suportive and let us keep it this way! Robin
    • Posted

no no he did not mean anything and pls see his reply above.....all new to him this site. Robin

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.