Is it safe to come off Mirtazapine after taking it for 1 day

Posted , 6 users are following.

Ok so i am a athlete, i train 5x a week. This is my main outlet for depression i have been having for the past 1 year.

My doc gave me  Mirtazapine 15mg to try, I took one last night and slept 12ish hours. Normally i only sleep 6 or so hours.

This was great but now its 3pm and i still feel extremly tired, i cannot train as i feel 'out of it' and confused, lethargic.

This is casuing me even more anxiety as i have worked very hard and love training. I no longer want to take this pill for these reasons. Also i cannot afford to put lots of weight on as i need to stay fit for my sport.

What do i do? i loved the fact it knocked me out for a night but without training i will go insane and i have games on the weekend.

Is it ok to come off after only taking 1 pill?

0 likes, 8 replies

8 Replies

• Posted

I'd say so.But if you suffer with depprestion I'd go back to your GP and ask for something else.Ive been on this drug for 4yrs I am now comeing off it and it is extremely hard to come off,so if your not happy take no more and go back to see your GP. Good look and I hope you do well at the games on the weekend.
    • Posted

thanks for the response, its what i thought. this drug seems really really strong, today i cannot function at all and even basic movements like walking or cooking are difficult.

feels like ive been sedated, theres no way i could play football like this

• Posted

You'll be fine to stop taking after 1 day.  Hwoever as norma points out your underlying reason for taking it will obviously still be there so if that is still a problem you may want to try some other medication.

I do find that Mirtazapine makes you tired and although it lessess with time it is still there for me at some level.  Whilst not classing myself an athlete  I do play football twice a week and go for the odd run, cycle ride etc whilst taking the Mirtazapine and yes sometimes I find it does have an effect on the level you can perform at, so probably not the drug for you given what you said.

• Posted

thank you clarkio, did you gain weight with an active lifestyle? i feel a little more awake now at 5pm but my eyes still feel tired
    • Posted

Know EXACTLY how you feel. Do a lot of cycling. Was on 15mg of this for 3or 4 months, went to France, cycling the alps, but I was so crap and lacking in motivation and desire I couldn't believe how much lack of energy I had, I just couldn't compete at any level at all, so I slowly tapered off it.

You will be fine after one day.

I found it really helped with my sleep, and when I went down to 7.5 I noticed my motivation etc, was better, so that might be something to think about

• Posted

Sorry for late reply.  I put weight on initially but then I needed to as had lost a stone through loss of appetite caused by anxiety (was down to 9 1/2 stone and I'm 5' 11").  Once I put back on the weight I lost though have stayed more or less at my normal 10 1/2 stone.  So think if you're a bit careful how you eat (it will give you an appetite) and do regular exercise you can avoid weight gain, or at least I did anyway.
  • Posted

Know how you feel, i have only been on it 5 days and feel absolutely terrible all day. I too am worried how long this will last for or is this normal on these tablets.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.