Is it safe to fly 13+7 hours with painful 6cm+ hemorrhagic cyst?

Posted , 2 users are following.

I was diagnosed with 6cm hemorrhagic cyst a month ago. Gynecologists suggested observation within a month or two, but I'm flying from the US to Asia in 10 days and will be there for a month, so we agree to follow-up after that. In the meantime, if it is really painful, they suggest me taking pain killers.

Doctors didn't show any concern on flying but told me to go to ER if I have severe pain that doesn't go away in 3 hours. One of them said rupture or twist doesn't easily occur, and it's safer to let me fly with cyst rather than having laparoscopy without enough days to rest.

The problem is it is painful everyday though not all day. I have sharp, acute pain, with burning and lower back pain. Sometimes the pain radiates to the rib and also at the bottom of my pelvis. It is also painful when moving bowel. Sometimes when it doesn't show any symptoms, I thought maybe I was just over-anxious. But when pain hits me, I feel as if I might need to go to ER now.

Other doctors like my acupuncturists also said that I should be safe to fly and air pressure has nothing to do with cyst. But for me who is experiencing all the discomfort and uncertainty, I am so nervous and doubt how true it is that I will be safe. It is like I'm being left walking on a thread hanging in the air, seeing only fog ahead of me while hearing the crowd saying, "it's ok".

Anyone had the similar experience and flew safely? I am so stressed and really need mental support. Honestly I would like to go through surgery right away but this trip is really important to me that I want to make a bet - but when pain arises, I'm not quite so sure...

Any suggestions or comments are appreciated. Thank you!

0 likes, 4 replies

4 Replies

• Posted

Hi, I flew last year for 6 hours from UK to Cape Verde and was fine with a 15cm dermoid cyst and a 5cm cystadenofibroma. My gynaecologist just told me to make sure I had full insurance cover for my cysts as basic travel insurance doesn't cover them if anything were to happen. Hope this helps.

• Posted

I get random pain so can't take anything for it as it's usually just the odd cramp or stabbing pain. The largest of the two sometimes twists which causes a lot of pain but that's only been twice over 18 months. I'm still on watch and wait but hopefully having surgery to remove them in the new year after they've reviewed my next MRI scan in December. My main issues are severe bloating, constipation and bladder weakness. Be glad when they remove them. If you are in a lot of pain I'd try to get a review done before you fly if possible.

• Posted

I'm so sorry you have gone through observation for this long and have to face so much discomfort. I know how constipation and bloating causes difficulties in daily life, not to mention the additional pain on your cysts.

I can't believe you didn't get operation after the twists! How did you cope with that? I thought that it is serious enough to get a surgery to prevent damage to ovaries...

Finally I had to cancel my flight and schedule a surgery because the pain has become more unbearable. The changes happened so fast in 1 month from no pain until so much pain.

I hope you can have a successful removal of the cysts soon and stay away from the problems forever. I'm with you.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.