Is it safe to stop taking Lithium?

Posted , 3 users are following.

My ex or current BF( we are not back officially yet) is bipolar, and has been quite an adventure to know someone with this condition.

Last night we were talking about his issues and mentioned to me that he stopped taking Lithium, he still takes Seroquel.

So now I'm worry that something bad is going to happen to him. I told him that he shouldn't stop without the supervision of his doctor.

Does anybody know more about this?

L.

0 likes, 4 replies

4 Replies

• Posted

Lorena

If your Boyfriend is BI-Polar Lithium will keep His mood stable and He will need to take it as prescribed. You will need to stand your corner and make sure He talk to the GP if He wants to stop.

You may be on a hiding for nothing here, you need assurences that He will follow the Doctors advice and take His medications. Seroquet will supplement Lithium although it cannot replace it

Personally I do not know what broke up your past relationship with Him, part of His condition has not changed, ask yourself if you can deal with His irrational, changing moods etc, especially if He is not taking the medications.

Consider the options, and be very firm with Him

BOB

• Posted

Bob.

Thank you for your advice.

I talked to him last night about his meds.

We looked for new doctors because he recently moved.

I encouraged him to inquire about this and keep taking his meds.

I hope he does.

• Posted

Loren

You are His incentive, hopefully now He will behave. He needs to understand He will need to remain on these medications possibly for the rest or most of His Life. 

I wish you both well

BOB

• Posted

I would get him off lithium. Seroquel works good. I spent the whole month of September in a medically induced coma due to lithium toxicity. The drs had me on 1800mg a day. I have taken Seroquel the only problem I had with it was it made me so tired.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.