Is it safe to take hydroxyzine and cetirizine together

Posted , 3 users are following.

Hi there

I was recently switched from cetirizine to hydroxyzine.  Reason being that hydroxyzine is better for my skin allergies and also has anti-anxiety properties, something else I suffer from.  However, now that spring has sprung I'm finding that while the hydroxyzine is brilliant for my skin and anxiety, its not as good at controlling the hayfever, esepcially when I wake up in the morning every day sneezing.

So my question is this: is it safe to take cetirizine in the morning as well as hydroxyzine at night?  I plan to go to see my gp about it but I'll be away for a couple of weeks soon and it will be ages before I can get an appt with my own gp, so I just wondered if any of you have exeprience of this situation first.

Thanks

Lizzie

0 likes, 9 replies

9 Replies

• Posted

Hi Lizzie, what dose of Hydroxyzine are you taking?

You could always ask a Pharmacist's advice.  I have just put the 2 drugs in an interactions checker and this it what they say

Using cetirizine together with hydrOXYzine may increase side effects such as dizziness, drowsiness, and difficulty concentrating. Some people may also experience impairment in thinking and judgment. You should avoid or limit the use of alcohol while being treated with these medications. Also avoid activities requiring mental alertness such as driving or operating hazardous machinery until you know how the medications affect you. It is important to tell your doctor about all other medications you use, including vitamins and herbs. Do not stop using any medications without first talking to your doctor.

• Posted

Hi there

Thank you for your quick reply and checking out the interactions, its very useful to me.  I take 25mg hydroxyzine at night, I haven't been taking the cetrizine since I started the hyydroxyzine but my hayfever is bad today.  The strength of the cetirzine I can't remember but it was just the same as the OTC version as it came in the same packet and I have quite a few left over.  The main side effect I get from the hydroxyzine is drowsiness, but that's good as it helps me sleep, I never had any side effects at all from the cetirizine.  As it happens I have to go into our local chemist today so will ask the pharmacist as you suggest.  To be honest I'd prefer to increase the hydroxyzine rather add another med into my already complex mix (I'm bipolar with anxiety too), so I probably can't get an answer to this until I can see my gp after my holiday.  Will have to stock up on tissues and eye drops !

God Bless

Lizzie xxx

• Posted

You could probably also get a nasal spray for the hayfever, such as Beconase, again, the Pharmacist will be able to help.  If he doesn't already dispense your drugs, take in a list of what you are on.

Have a lovely holiday!

• Posted

I use this checker

http://www.drugs.com/drug_interactions.html

• Posted

Hi Mrs Mop

Love the link you sent me, it will come in handy for checking out the many other meds I take.

Saw the pharmacist today and she said not to take two anti-histamines together but didn't seem to know why.  She then tried to sell me an expensive nasal spray which contained a steroid, which I declined as it needs to be used continuously through out the season and my hayfever is erratic, and to be honest, I'd rather get something from my gp as I don't pay for prescriptions and I already use a steroid cream for my skin, so maybe a consideration there.

I don't know about you but my gradually accumulating list of meds and conditions over my life (I'm 57 I think (?!), makes it hard to manage everything, but I do my best, using those little pill pots split into days and four compartments a day, and keep my inhaler with me at all times for asthma.  I have a strong Christian faith, which I don't push onto others who don't share that, and that keeps me strong, as well as having a great circle of friends for support, hardly any family I'm afraid.

Thansk again

Lizzie

• Posted

Latest news

Well I stopped taking the cetirizine as well as the hydroxyzine as I found that as the hydroxyzine built up in my system it controlled all my symptoms, both allergies and anxiety.  Problem was that recently my pharmacist wrote to my GP about the possible interaction of hydroxyzine with my anti-depressant citalopram.  Upshot was that I had an ECG and they found that I have an extended QT interval, which can be fatal, so have been taken off the hydroxyzine and put back on cetirzine and diazepam.  Not happy about this as the cetrirzine doesn't control my allergies and the I was so pleased that with the help of the hydroxyzine I'd been able to come off the diazepam.  Back to square one basicly :-(

Lizzie

• Posted

A bit late to the discussion sorry.

I was prescribed 10mg cetirizine twice daily and 25mg hydroxyzine at night a few years ago by my NHS allergy clinic. I also take piriton 4mgs when necessary.

I doubt the clinic would have prescribed the two drugs if they knew they would interact.

I had no problems with these.

Sorry you had to stop the hydroxyzine because of its interaction with citalopram.

Hope you find a soultion Lizzie smile

• Posted

Hi daisymay   They put me on an anti-histmine called fexofenadine which genarlly works, but not always.  I've also got a nasal spray called Avamys which is good, and my ventolin and eye drops of copurse.  All these together just about keep my allergies underc ontrol most of the time.  However, my asthma is worse after rain, and its obviously not just pollen as I continue with them pretty much all year off and on.  I once had the first of the series of the allergy tests but reacted so badly that my heart stopped and they had to recussitate me - I didn';t bother with any more of the tests after that !!!!!!  I'm still on the diazepam but only occasionally, I think if I use it too much they'll take it off me and that would be disastrous for on occasions when my anxiety is bad its a life saver. 

Lizzie xxx

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.