Is it shingles again??

Posted , 5 users are following.

Hi,

I've had shingles before, around 4 months ago. This was after losing my father to cancer, I suppose the stress got the better of me.

I'm back on track now emotionally.

However, yesterday morning, I started experiencing all the pains of shingles again, same place, on my left had side of my stomach/lower back.

However, after an awful nights sleep with the discomfort, pain, feeling unwell, bad stomach and stabbing pains, I've realised that it's gone this afternoon. I still have the rash (small spots) but no red raised itchy rash.

Can you get a shingles attack that lasts 24 hours?

Thank you

0 likes, 6 replies

6 Replies

• Posted

Do you still have the pain? See what tonight brings and if you have any pain, itching is pain, plus rash it would be best to see your GP while you still have the rash so you can get the anti virals you will need.  Shingles can reocurr, usually in the same place as before. Your own immune system is probably fighting it off and it may succeed. Hope this helps. Ellie UK rolleyes
  • Posted

Rachel I was off work a month. My rash on face was over in less than 3 weeks but the exhaustion stayed. After about 10 days I would be at work and my hand would break out again. This has happened several times so far. The little blisters would be gone in about 8 hours or less. Weird. I wondered if this was from stress or not totally out of my system. Fortunately they didn't itch or hurt. I don't really know why this happens but intend to ask my Dr. Good luck and I hope it doesn't come back

• Posted

Thanks for taking the time to reply.

I had the day off as I felt awful all night and couldn't stand anything touching the area that was affected. Feel a lot better now. The itching has gone but the little spots are still there.

I thought I was in for a full on attack like last time. Seems you never fully get over it.

If it gets worse I'll head to the GP.

• Posted

Mine never have. They last around a month for me. Pain two to three weeks before with flu like symptoms. After blisters all pop about a week sometimes two I start to feel better. If I stress out I can usually count on a break out. My condolences for the passing of your dad. I lost my mom 6 yrs ago to cancer. If you are lucky enough to get them and have them go that fast, can I have some of your genes, lol Jmac
  • Posted

So sorry to hear of your loss Rachel. I developed shingles in similar circumstances some 15 years ago. Although nowhere near as bad as if had been I found the pain was there on and off for a long while afterwards, maybe a year or two. Ever since I've been conscious of it and even now I can feel some discomfort from time to time. I use it in a positive way now though, it's like an early warning signal when I'm stressed or run down, and I know I have to take it easier for a little while. It's nothing like the pain when I had shingles, just enough to remind me of how horrible it was. My advice is listen to your body and get plenty of rest. It will get better.
    • Posted

I should add that if was a current 'warning' that led me to this forum.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.