Is it stomach cancer? Questions about recent endsocopy

Posted , 7 users are following.

Hi, just looking for some advice please.

A few days ago, I was under a double endoscopy and colonoscopy for heartburn/belching problems as well as mucus stools, and nausea that have been occurring for the past 3 months. Was tested for h pylori through stool but due to little volume of what was handed in, it's likely I'll be tested again for that, as they took a biopsy of my stomach. 

The results of the colonoscopy came back clean, however, it was realized I had "gastritis and a submucosal polyp in the body of the stomach." 

What worries me is the submuccosal polyp, which I can't seem to find information on other then cancer. I however, am 18 years old so the odds of it being cancer I know are low. It still doesn't make sense how a polyp like this would appear in my endoscopy. 

Is it cancer? Please help. 

I'll likely be getting results from the biopsy of it in a week or so. Until then anyone have any information I could use?

Thank you.

0 likes, 8 replies

8 Replies

• Posted

Also forgot to mention, my other symptoms are weight loss, regurgitation, and blood pressure issues. Comprehensive metabolic panel from other hospital visits as well as CBC results were always normal. As was urine samples.
    • Posted

I agree with everyone here.

I had an endoscopy recently where I was found to have a small polyp(5mm) in the antrum and heamoragic patchy gastritis in the antrum. I have a history of

H pylori and my brother passed away recently of stomach cancer

To say the least I was worried when they found the polyp! I was told that they worry more about colon polyps than gastric. 

My histology results were ok apart from erosive gastritis which was treated with 3 months PPI. A repeat endoscopy found the polyp almost gone and the gastritis greatly reduced.

Please try not to worry it’s very  likely gastritis and if it is anything it would be very early.

Hope this helps

• Posted

Lastly, no family history of any type of cancer. My grandfather only had blood pressure related issues before passing.
  • Posted

Just sounds to me like gastritis. Which is caused by H pylori. So hopefully its not caused by that. If so youll have to take antibiotics for 2 weeks. H pylori causes all those symptoms your talking about. But doubt its stomach cancer if your stools arent red or anything and plus your 18 i doubt it i juust tink you have h pylori hopefully its not though.
  • Posted

You can get benign polyps in your colon as well as your stomach.  Endoscopies are designed to pick up all sorts of stomach disorders and in your case it picked up clear reasons for your symptoms.  So it will now give your doctor much more to work on.  As well as biopsies being taken, the polyp is removed during the procedure which should improve your symptoms.  I wouldn't worry about whether the polyp makes sense or not. It is more important that a cause for your symptoms was found and that you will get treatment for it.

I am not a doctor so I can't tell you whether the polyp is cancer or not. You will have to wait for the results of your biopsy.  Only your gastroenterologist can tell you this.  As you are young, the odds of cancer are lower, so I would concentate on this and not google your symptoms because it will give you very bad health anxiety.  Being stressed about your symptoms can cause weight loss and high blood pressure. 

• Posted

My strong advice to you is to wait for your results. People mean good giving you their thoughts but they have absolutely no bearing whatsoever on your personal tests and won't help you at all. Wait for YOUR OWN relults, they will be the ones that matter and you'll have them soon.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.