Is it supposed to wear off this quick?

Posted , 2 users are following.

Hey, I've been taking venlafaxine 37.5mg x2 daily and Propranolol 40mg x3 daily for the past 3 weeks, the first 2 weeks have been good, felt a lot better, but these past few days I'm feeling worse and worse, more down days than up and its getting hard to get myself back up once in down.

I've recently had my propranolol dose upped to the 80mg slow release x2 daily if needed, I'm not starting then until tomorrow though, but there only a beta blocker so cant see them lifting my mood much, if any.....i have another appointment in 2 weeks at my doctors to look at my dosage of venlafaxine to up it.

I have 2 questions, Is venlafaxine supposed to wear off this quick? because i really thought they were working for me, and do you think my doctor would up my dose early, like if i rang them Monday?

I just don't want to slip back into depression, especially seeing as my CBT starts soon.

I just wondered if anyone had any experience with venlafaxine and had any advice. It would be much appreciated.

Danielle x

0 likes, 7 replies

7 Replies

• Posted

HI Danielle,

I'm sorry to hear you're not feeling too good. The first thing I would say is don't panic! The Venlafaxine wouldn't have worked that quickly (usually takes a couple of weeks at least to kick in)so your symptoms don't mean it isn't working. Is the propanapol prescribed for anxiety/panic attacks? If so your Doctor has probably given you Venlafaxine because it is very good for depression and anxiety together. I have been taking Venlafaxine for 16 years, along with Lithium, as I'm bipolar and the Venlafaxine is very helpful but it will take a while to build up in your system. Keep calm and book an earlier appointment to see your GP. The Venlafaxine can always be increased but he/she may not want to do it too soon. Be patient and don't worry about your CBT it will wait for you if you're not quite ready yet! Take care of yourself.

SUE x

• Posted

Ye the propranolol is for relieving my panic attack symptoms. Funnily enough i didn't have anxiety or depression until they gave me citalopram. I came off those after 5 days.

I just cant understand why I've been feeling ok for almost a week and a half until a couple of days ago, then my mood seems to have plummeted, i was going back in 2 weeks to get the venlafaxine dose increased anyway, i was just wondering if my doctor may up it a weeks early if i ask?

Danielle x

• Posted

I would give the dr. A call early. Everybody is different so they are just making a general guess as to when you need to come back. If you are feeling that different the go back early. I am in the process of weaning off effexor and am in Wellbutrin. When I started the Wellbutrin the dr. Thought I would need to see her after a month, I ended going back after 3 weeks because the depression was getting worse again. So I would give the dr. A call.
  • Posted

Citalopram is unlikely to have caused lasting anxiety and depression after five days. It is an antidepressant so why were you prescribed it in the first place? I assume you are now taking the propanapol, the Venlafaxine and nothing else? In which case give it time! See your gp early and explain how you feel, see if they will up your Venlafaxine.

Sue x

• Posted

Dunno, i went in because i was having panic attacks and that's what they gave me, after 2 days i got every side effect under the sun, but i really didn't have the depression or anxiousness before i started taking it. After i started taking it i felt anxious all the time, my panic attacks increased ten fold which brought on the depression, i literally couldn't take anymore after the 5th day, they almost sent me legitimate crazy. Since i started taking the venlafaxine the majority of the side effects have gone apart from the insomnia, depression and some of the anxiousness.

Think I will go back to my doctors on Monday, don't want this getting any worse.

Thanks for the advice

Danielle x

• Posted

Hey guys, one more question if you wouldn't mind answering another?

Like i said before I'm on propranolol 40mg x3 daily soon to be the 80mg slow release x2 daily....i just wondered if you can build up a tolerance to it? As I've taken my full dosage every day since i got them and they've been working great apart from the past 2 nights, I've started getting a pain in my right thigh, like cramp, and no amount of stretching is relieving it, is this normal? And I experienced a rapid heart rate and a short burst of adrenalin when i had a little panic attack tonight, i thought beta blockers were supposed to stop this exact thing? Can anyone help please?

Danielle x

• Posted

Hi Danielle. An American take here. Venlafaxine is a funny drug. Call your doctor immediately. Your brain may be soaking it right up and in immediate need of a higher dosage. Your other drug, w/all the p's, I'm not familiar w/but I'd imagine it's for anxiety. You will most likely increase that dosage significantly while you are acclimating to Venlafaxine and finding the right dosage for you. It might take a while to get there.

As far as your propranolol... yes, you can become acclimated to that fairly quickly. And stopping it abruptly would lead to withdrawal. Again, your doctor may increase your dose But it will help you cope while you are finding the right Venlafaxine dose.

In the meantime, in so far as you can, eliminate an caffeine in your diet. Coffee, black & green tea. Sports drinks. Soda (pop? cola?) And move half of your total dosage toward bedtime. No exercising for a couple of hours before bed. Although several hours earlier in the day will likely be helpful in lifting your mood.

The big thing is there are a lot of us out here. You aren't alone in what you are experiencing. You will survive and thrive in time. Have confidence in yourself. Make little changes in your day and unburden yourself here.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.