Is it the right for under 25s to been acepted by nhs for smear tests?

Posted , 3 users are following.

So ladies I comment with a controversial question.... is it acceptable for the nhs in this day and age not toagree to smear under 25's? Test sent to lab from doctors who are more than willing to test to be told that the lab are unable to provide or test swab as you are under 25? I would like to know thoughts? andwhy? I was that lady at 21 who knew that there was something seriously wrong with my body.

My bladder, kidney and back (sciatic nerve) were damaged as well as signing for a hysterectomy at 21. Why? Because at 21 apparently I did not know my body.

I would encourage anybody to keep questioning. ....do not stop. I have had 43 operations to date since the age of 6. 7 of them since I was 21 as my gp would not listen. I am writing to say as embarrassing as you may think this test may be.....All of us ladies are born with the same parts and it's pain free.....just relax and if you are scared say.....your gp or nurse will listen. If you don't ask you don't get but ladies please do not put this off especially after 25....5 minutes of your time can save your life. X

0 likes, 4 replies

4 Replies

• Posted

I assume Lena that you are talking about a precautionary test, because I would assume if someone presents with symptoms, a test would have to be done.  As for screening without symptoms, all sorts of decisions are made regarding treatment, tests etc based on finance. Is it right for people to be denied life saving treatment because of cost, should bowel screening age be lowered, or stop at a certain age, the list is endless. If only money was not limited, or used wrongly, or amassed by a f

ew and never used. Would that we had a.  Would that we had a perfect world.

• Posted

Lena please excuse the mistakes, my tablet is playing up.  But you get what I am saying? I too would encourage everyone to have a smear test.  Its painless and worth having.smile
  • Posted

pap testing does not benefit those under 30, but exposes young women to risk, this age group produces the most false positives and that means colposcopy, excess biopsies and over-treatment that can damage the cervix and lead to premature babies, c-sections, cervical cerclage, miscarriages etc.

if a young women is symptomatic she needs a proper assessment, not a pap smear, which is a screening test. (for women with no symptoms)

I firmly believe evidence based testing is the best option for those women who want to test for this rare cancer. The Dutch will scrap their 7 pap test program, 5 yearly from 30 to 60, and offer instead 5 HPV primary tests or self-testing at ages 30,35,40,50 and 60 and only the roughly 5% who are HPV+ will be offered a 5 ya early pap test until they clear the virus. This will save more lives and takes most women out of pap testing and harms way. Population pap testing is a burden for the VAST majority of women who can never benefit, but can be harmed.

it should be a scandal that women have been horribly over-screened and inappropriately screened harming huge numbers. There was never a need as the Finns and Dutch have shown, sadly, enormous profits are made from population pap testing and over-screening/over-treatment,these vested interests will fight to protect the enormous profits they make from now outdated population pap testing. Women will have to demand something better or seek out HPV primary or HPV self-testing.

HPV Today, Edition 24, sets out the Dutch program.

Delphi Bioscience can provide information on self-testing.

• Posted

This request comes up time and time again, and I support the NHS decision not to screen the under 25's, as cervical cancer is very, very rare in this age group, and younger women have so many problems with the test, as you can see from posts elsewhere on this website. The screening test is for women who have no symptoms, and the test traces abnormal cell changes which may go on to cause cancer over a period of years. Any woman of any age who has unusual symptoms such bleeding should see a doctor to get them diagnosed, and get treatment. Don't wait for a smear test.

If anyone under 25 feels so strongly that they should have a smear test, she can, of course, arrange to have one done at a private clinic, where the age restrictions don't apply, but NHS funding is limited, and I think it is right that screening is kept for older women.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.