Is it to early to go back to work

Posted , 6 users are following.

I'm 11 weeks post surgery on a triple fusion with tendon the consultant says it's fine but I'm in absolute agony my first day back at work this week 10 hours a day in a fast paced kitchen isn't my idea of fun 

0 likes, 7 replies

7 Replies

• Posted

It sounds like the 10 hours on your feet isn't too conducive right now! Speak to your doctor and see.

• Posted

OMG. I'm 19weeks in now and there's no way I could do 10hrs on my feet!! Plate n screws both sides. Think it's a big ask!!! Hope you get it sorted so your ankle can at least heal at the right pace without going backwards because of long hrs on youd feet. Sx

• Posted

Will,

Are you going back to your consultant (presumably an orthopedist who did your triple fusion and tendon surgeries) and complain about your agonizing pain? I think you should get an explanation from the doc and not just suffer in silence.

On a pain scale of 1 to 10, with 1 being barely noticeable pain and 10 being unimaginably bad pain, where would you be? Does the pain stay the same all the time, or is it just agonizing after you've been working a while? Is it unrelenting or does rest, icing, and elevation mitigate your symptoms? Is the pain coming from a focal point somewhere in the ankle, or is it painful overall?

Perhaps you can get your doctor to re-evaluate his earlier all clear-- good to go assessment of your ankle condition in light of your actual performance in a very ankle demanding occupation. I realize your livelihood depends on showing up for your job, but if it were me I wouldn't risk a life-long ankle disability by rushing in too fast.

Ideally, your doctor would give you your employer notice that you need more time off for medical reasons to give you more time to heal. I hope that happens.

In any case, I wish you the best.

• Posted

My pain on a 1-10 after the first shift is about 9 been dosed up on painkillers to get me through the day I'm just gonna have to suck it up till I can get to see a doctor after the bank holiday the pain I'm getting is all over the ankle joint 

• Posted

Can you do part time, I think you need to work your way up to standing 10 hours a day.
    • Posted

I asked to go part time but the idiots have given me 40 hours in 3 days I think they are just trying to be awkward to be honestĀ 
  • Posted

Gosh, I can see it's a lot harder being of working age (I am 77!) and can really sympathise.  I am 9 weeks now and still have to take lots of little sit downs - mind you, if my pelvis and lower back weren't so sore, it would be easier to stay on my feet but maybe that is Nature telling me , at my age, to go slowly.  I just want to be fit enough eventually to do stuff on my farm, lead a horse from the field (and even ride), walk round my cattle and generally get around a supervise things.

I did a bit of cooking for my family yesterday, a plum crumble and a summer pudding - and that was enough on my feet!

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.