is it true that having less than 5cm ovarian dermoid cyst doesnt need a surgery? please help im in pain.

Posted , 5 users are following.

Hi everyone, hope someone can help.

I started my consultation when i have severe pain my lower left abdomen, i went to the doctor because i thought its because i havent had my period for 4 months, she asked me for transvaginal ultrasoud and they saw a 5cm dermod cyst, she made me took a medicine for 5 days so i can get my period, bit at first it didnt work so i went back and i said that i want to have this remove because im always in pain, shr said to take primolut n for 3 days twice a day, she said she wants me to do ultrasound once i had my period because there is a possibilty that the cyst is 5 cm because i dont have period for four months.

Anyone had their cyst became smaller after having their period? Why doesnt need to be remove if its less than 5cm if you are always in pain?

PLEASR.HELP ME!!

THANKS.

0 likes, 11 replies

11 Replies

• Posted

Hi Ashley... It's so hard to know. From the information I've been researching, if a cyst is less than 5cm, surgery is not needed, and a repeat sonogram is usually done at several week intervals to see if the cyst has shrunk or gone away totally. It can take 2 to 3 months for cysts to dissolve on their own. But they can also grow. I had a 5cm cyst, on one scan, and 7 weeks later it had grown to 12 cm. I'm scheduled for surgery the end of March, but I have had absolutely no symptoms. Many women have cysts that get smaller and disappear on their own. One of my best friends had a small cyst and her GYN tracked the cyst as well. By her next sonogram, it had disappeared. But if you are having pain and your menstrual cycle has been delayed for 4 months, even if it is a small cyst, it needs to be watched carefully. The best advice is to follow your GYN's instructions fully. It is so tempting to guess what could be happening with us, but really, the most that we can do is get diagnostic testing and let the gynecologist guide the next steps. And easier said then done, but try not to be afraid. Ovarian cysts are extremely common in women, and 95% of them are just plain old cysts that will never cause problems. And a cyst can definitely affect your menstrual cycle as they commonly form during ovulation.
  • Posted

All doctors have different opinions on these things

, I was told that surgery n

• Posted

Sorry,

I was told surgery was not needed as lots of women had cysts every day and walked round with them and don't feel any pain. They could operate on me and it might not even be the cysts.

I asked for another doctor and she said it could burst cause pain grown etc so it was up to me what I wanted to do so I had surgery. I always think if you are unsure ask for another doctor another opinion you well within your rights to do so

• Posted

A dermoid cyst is completely different from average ovarian cysts as it is made up of tissue, bone and all sorts so needs to be removed these do not shrink or disappear on their own i think the past replies are talking about simple cysts i do know what i am talking about as i have both and awaiting surgery on the 7cm dermoid i have on left ovary along with other simple cysts... hope this helps Ashley x
  • Posted

Thanks to all for your reply, i have sched for another transvaginal ultrasound on tue and im hoping that its less than 5cm, im still in pain, im currently on my 4th day of period and my flow is not normal.

I hope all will be well.

• Posted

I have a 4.5 cm dermoid cyst,my doctor monitored it for a year and now i'm booked in to have it removed next week. As dermoids do not go away on their own it will end up having to removed eventually especially if you are having symtoms,as i was/have x
  • Posted

hi lynda im done with my operation on march 5 currently on recovery .. i hope i will get well soon
  • Posted

Mine was on the 6th. Hurt much more than I was expecting! It's a relief to have it done with isn't it
  • Posted

i have a dermoid measuring 4.8cm on my left ovary have had 2 ultrasounds and an mri in the last 4 months and it hasnt changed im booked in for 21st may to have it removed along with my tube and ovary so maybe it varies from one doc to another xx
  • Posted

meant to say its quite hard to get accurate measurements of a dermoid on a simple ultrasound which is why i had an mri it was first thought it was around 7cm
  • Posted

I had an ovarian cyst of 1,7 cm that dissolved on its own within 10 months. I did not take any medicines to cure the cyst and did not take any particular measures. I do not know if it correlates to my cyst disappearance but within these ten months I underwent a surgery for another health concern for which after the surgery I had to take 6 shots of anticoagulant (heparin) under the skin. Two months before the surgery I took another anticoagulant for 2,5 weeks in a form of pills containing heparin. I was medicated with epidural for the surgery and took pain releavers for three days. I do not know if any of these could contribute to the dissolution of the cyst. I hope the scientists would study this topic more. 

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.