Is it typical for BPH symptoms to vary from day to day or different times of the day?

Posted , 15 users are following.

I find that my BPH symptoms and/or retention levels vary during the day or even change week by week.

Typically at night the Retention is high. During the day sometimes retention level not very acute.

Would that mean that the prostate swells up at certain times of the day or what you eat? I am not taking any medications except saw palmetto. I don't want to start taking medication if I can help it.

0 likes, 24 replies

24 Replies

Next
  • Posted

Saw palmetto doesnt done anything. Dont wast your time. Those systems are typical of bph. Food and the things you drink do matter some what. Sounds like to me you may have to get in some meds to help your condition .

• Posted

Saw palmetto doesnt done anything. Dont wast your time. Those systems are typical of bph. Food and the things you drink do matter some what. Sounds like to me you may have to get in some meds to help your condition .

• Posted

2.5 years ago I had a PAE procedure with Dr. Isaacson in North Carolina. It was a simple quick procedure and has made my urinary situation 20-25 years younger. It is now covered by Medicare and most insurance companies. Not everyone is a candidate as it works best on prostates larger than 90 cc. I understand all the posters with problems as I was once in your shoes, however why are you not lining up for this procedure? Many more IR's now do it pretty much nationwide. Don't sit there and bemoan the prostate problems. Do something about it. An 80% success rate and another half of the failures get fixed on a second procedure with a 50% rate. Something close to 90% success. No general, just a twilight local. A little urgency for first week or so after the procedure. Easier than a colonoscopy. I do believe that most of the negative posters about this procedure are Urologist, the medieval practioners still trying to screw up your sex life with Turp and other horrendous things. The PAE could put massive numbers of Uros on the bread line, but for some reason many guys shy aware from it. I truly don't understand but can't emphasize enough how it changed my life.

• Posted

Yes, of course, but it's not that much your BPH that continues to grow once you prone to it as many other men, but you obstructed bladder. It's worse during the night when you kidney fill it up, amount of liquid you drank, especially beer and wine can make it much worse. Some medicines that help the bladder relax will spasm your prostate and can even cause total urine retention. Especially bad are cold and anti-allergic medicines that will aggravate any BPH symptom . It's well known and is well outlined in medical warnings that come with the medicine. Saw palmetto did nothing good for me even I used it more than 10 years. BY many studies it's shown to be close to placebo or slightly better. Use alpha-blockers, they help a lot but the downside is that prostate continues to grow beyond the size when minimal invasive and least damaging surgeries can help. Surgery or PAE is the only ultimate answer to BPH, don't full yourself. The earlier the better because it works best, produces less complications and improves tha quality of life (including sexual) beyond any wild expectations. If anybody tells you otherwise tehy are lying for one reason or another.

Don't trust ant fairy tales about Chinese/Aurovedic medicine or natural remedy. To shrink you prostate chemically, once it grown (most likely due to you low T and high conversion to female hormones), you should castrate yourself chemically. Anything else is surgical ...

Best. Gene

• Posted

If Saw palmetto was doing you no good why did you persevere with it for ten years ?

• Posted

I just had a PAE procedure by Dr. Bagla at the Vascular Institute of Virginia ten days ago. I am age 71, had a prostate size of 127 CC, newly married after the death of my wife to cancer, am quite active and take no medications. I had gone to three urologists and could not get anyone interested in anything except what they could do themselves. I was tired of my extreme urgency, of wetting my pants during the day, of getting up at least five times a night, and of wearing adult diapers, of having great trouble with travel and so on. I found an interventional radiologist near my home in Washington State who checked me and told me that I was a good candidate for PAE but that he would prefer to have a referral from a good urologist. We went over names and I went to one that he recommended. That urologist only wanted to check me for cancer and found a Gleason 6 low grade cancer for which he recommended watchful waiting. I called his office and reminded them that I had severe symptoms for which I needed relief, but he would not refer me for a PAE. I called Dr. Bagla and they said that a Gleason 6 CA diagnosis was not a problem with PAE and he accepted self-referrals. I flew across the USA for a PAE and am very pleasantly impressed with this procedure. Dr. Bagla said that he would try to target the area where the cancer was located. I experienced no pain at all and my stream is better already with no more episodes of not being able to pee until I walk around for 10 minutes when I get up at night. My nighttime bathroom visits have only slightly reduced by this time, but I can pee and go back to bed already. Dr. Bagla said that my blood vessels were very clean and he was able to treat me very aggressively. It has not affected my ability to have sex. I hope that my healing continues as well as it has so far. I suggest to anyone who has a large prostate and wants to preserve his sexual function to think about having a PAE. I considered HoLep as well, but PAE is so much less invasive that I chose it. It involves no meat grinders, cutting, or burning. I am very happy with my results so far. Don't expect your urologist to refer you for this! Be your own doctor and self-refer!

• Posted

My GP actually prescribed Saw Palmetto for me when I sounded negative about pharmaceutical drugs for my BPH. I know I don't need a prescription but he wrote it out for me.

The thing I wonder about though: most capsules I've seen for it are maximum of 320 mg. He prescribed me double that: 640 mg. Is that something new? Has anyone heard of bad effects from taking too much of it? I hear it has a lot of fat in the formulary. The ones I'm taking now came from Costco and also have pumpkin seed oil in it.

• Posted

When he gave you a prescription where did you get it from as I assume that only registered pharmacies can collect money from prescriptions .

I started out with capsules but have reservations about anything that goes through that type of processing and then found a herbalist who sold tincture. I thought it was rather expensive and read the label on the bottle he dispensed it from and contacted his supplier. I was buying two litres at a time at about a third of the price I had been paying.

• Posted

Perhaps I should try a herbalist. You can't buy saw palmetto from a pharmacist can you? Its all just OTC. No, I was afraid I'd be misunderstood. My GP did not actually give me a prescription. I meant prescribed in the laymens meaning of the word. I think he just wrote it down so I wouldn't forget it and the amount he suggested.

• Posted

One Uro said to me that gravity takes effect when you are up and about.

• Posted

Walking around a few minutes after getting ot of bed helps me. Also, deep knee bends, 10 or so can help me get a little out. Enough that I can't see having to use an alcohol pad prior to doing cic if I'm already sort of dripping. I can go a long time in the A.M. without feeling having to pee. Often I do cic just because I know its been at least 6 hours. Thank goodness it doesn't wake me up all night. I usually cic before going to bed.

• Posted

I found that the symptoms of BPH did vary a lot from week to week or month to month but not in any predictable fashion. I think it was maybe worse in the winter. I took tamsulosin and dutasteride for about six years and they helped a lot. However the symptoms gradually worsened but still varied so much that I put off surgery for a long time because I kept thinking the problem was getting better or stabilising. In the end I had a bipolar turp because I was worried about getting a total blockage and fed up with having to visit the toilet so often. Contrary to many of the reports I have read, the operation caused no significant problem and solved the BPH completely.

• Posted

Often overlooked: the male paunch. Like sleeping at night on a soccer ball with undue pressure on the bladder. . I am trying to lose weight and restrict fluids after 7. A year from now, maybe I'll have something to report. 5'11" and 235lbs -- down from 265 two years ago.

• Posted

Saw Palmetto is an unregulated phony that you can get hooked on for years with no improvement in your condition. No doctor will recommend it. Instead inquire about a diuretic that will improve retention almost immediately with no side effects.

• Posted

I agree about Saw Palmetto. I have already commented on this site. I tried it myself for more than 10 years for no avail, but God forbid don't advice diuretic for BPH. Diuretic will make you pee often and make you life miserable. Do you men alpha-blockers? Diuretic doesn't influence the functions of bladder or prostate, just the kidneys, lows the blood pressure and help get rid of extra water in the body. No,no.! And diuretics do have side effects.

• Posted

Saw Palmetto like medications works for some and not for others. I found that it helped some of my symptoms while I waited for better treatments than TURP to appear. Also like many drugs the quality varies and also depends on when it is harvested. I took it in tincture form that I bought from a herbalist. Doctors in Germany prescribe it for patients..

• Posted

The patient information leaflet for Furosemide ( Lasix) has warnings for patients with enlarged prostates.

• Posted

Diuretics are not for everyone. It is only available by prescription and only your doctor can decide if it is for a patient.

• Posted

I agree about not controlled substances and European doctors recommending saw palmetto. I tried dozens of brands, mostly tinctures from US Health brand stores to no avail. Also read some blind controlled studies by hospitals and universities/insurances. Very close to placebo. Case closed.

• Posted

Did you eventually after ten years have surgery for your BPH or one of the less invasive newer treatments ?

• Posted

A diruetic is a terrible solution for BPH. Also, hooked on Saw Palmetto??? I have to make myself take it; or were you using the term "hooked" in another way?

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.