is it worth applying for disability allowance?

Posted , 5 users are following.

I've had an ongoing shoulder issue now since 2011...it has progressively got worse from February 2014 to the point where i'm pretty limitted to what i can do. I was at university studying to become an Operating Department Practitioner, sadly i had to withdraw after my first year mainly because of my shoulder. I am wanting to return to work but my pain from my shoulder prevents me from doing so 

I have had many X-Rays, MRI's, nerve conductivity studies done and had 2 steroid injections within 5 months all whilst taking a huge amount of pain relief. 

Today, finally, they think they have a diagnosis for it. I have Type 3 muscle patterning of the Latisimus Dorsi (they know this 100%), the pain they think is caused by possible Acromo-Clavicular Joint Pathology......

Basically what i want to know is if anyone knows whether it would be worth applying for disability allowance due to me not being able to work?

From what i can see on the directgov webpage i'm thinking no- but surely there is some help for me?

There are days, that are at complete random, where i cant move my shoulder at all, can't dress on my own etc etc and then most days there's the usual where i cant move anything above waist height with the afflicted arm.

I'm not looking to sponge, just to have some support in the time im getting treatment to hopefully enable me to be able to return to work. 

I'm only just 30 years old and i feel like i'm fit for the scrap yard, just need a bit of help.

(sorry this is so long winded ! I've really tried not to ramble!)

0 likes, 6 replies

6 Replies

• Posted

I have just been awarded ESA while recovering from shoulder surgery. I would apply asap
    • Posted

What is ESA? I am 4 months post surgery and recovering very slowly from a 5 part fracture of my shoulder. 
  • Posted

So what is ESA? 

I just feel really pathetic when reading through the listed requirements, i'm not disabled by any means but this does stop me returning to work

• Posted

Hi jcx28, not sure how you would go about doing this it is very possible you would need a doctor to confirm your medical situation. However, you should at least try and see if you can receive a disability allowance at least for a short while to help you out temporarily because this would also elevate stress, Good luck and keep us posted!

• Posted

Right ok I should be able to get the consultant or my doctor to confirm it I think. There's enough notes on it!

I'm hopeful that I'm on the right road to getting fixed now so it should be very temporary but lack of money is a struggle to say the least.

• Posted

I know what you mean I am a single mother having had rotator cuff surgery a month ago. I am finding it very diifcult looking after two sons of 11 and 15 alone as a single mother with no support. I have not had one chance to rest and convalesce properly yet. Not being able to drive has been the hardest thing to cope with as we live  in a remote Wiltshire village.Luckily my sons go to school by bus

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.