Is it worth going on medication for depression?

Posted , 4 users are following.

I've just reached out to my GP about suffering with depression for about 4 months now. He gave me many options, one of which was starting to take medication. I said I'd go away and think about it.

Researching it, I've found out that some people don't even notice an effect. And coming off the medication can cause serious problems.

So would it be worth me taking up the option of medication? Or will self/professional help be better?

0 likes, 4 replies

4 Replies

• Posted

Hi Rachel,

I have just signed up as I myself was diagnosed with depression 6 years ago. I'm not a doctor but I am an

Effexor patient on day 6 of withdrawal... Hence asking people who know from a personal experience themselves. I totally admire your thoughts on having to think about your options.

I really wish now I did, before pumping my body of this particular toxin. I'm usually a very strong person always a can do myself approach.. But now today is the first day I can't do it!!! ( myself)

Even having a shower is to keep the door open listen for me... I don't fall!!

Be careful if you decide on the medication approach, it's a personal journey ( depression in my view).

I may as well say it,, withdrawals on this drug is an experience I will never forget..

Take care and go easy on you smile

• Posted

Withdrawal from medication is a challenge. It depends on how you feel just now. Are you very depressed? Do you have thoughts of self harm? Are you finding it impossible to function normally - like difficulty in getting out of bed, difficulties with food, looking after yourself, having trouble getting in to work or trouble going through the work day because of depression? If the answer to some or most of these is yes, it is worth taking the medicine. If it isn't that far gone, then you could try counseling first. If the depression is mild, some people find it will sometimes get better if you develop a new interest or hobby, or if you start exercising and consciously try and get enough rest (lifestyle changes) along with therapy.
  • Posted

Please think carefully before taking medication. I have been taking anti-depressants for 15 years on medical advice and I now find I can't come off them. Madmanu has given some good advice if your depression is not too severe. Take care of yourself. I know what it is like to be depressed.
  • Posted

Hi to you all I am new on here today and hoping to find some support and give some in return.I have been suffering for 2 years with anxiety and depression trying to do t without meds. But have to succumb to it started pregabalin last night waiting for the side effects I am petrified but got to have a go with a positive attitude.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.