Is it worth going to the GP?

Posted , 3 users are following.

Hi all,

My boyfriend was diagnosed with glandular fever a few days ago but he was somewhat ill for a few weeks beforehand. I've been experiencing some of the same symptoms he had before getting diagnosed and was wondering if it was worth going to the doctor to get it checked out.

He had a dry barking cough, swollen lymph glands in his neck, exhaustion, headaches and night sweats and then the area around his eyes became all swollen. I have all the same symptoms apart from the eyes plus slightly swollen tonsils, little twinges under my left ribs and a sore tongue but everything seems fairly mild at the moment (apart from the cough which is keeping me up at night and makes me feel sick sometimes). Would my gp test for GF straight away even if my symptoms were mild? I do have asthma as well so it always makes me worry a little more about being ill.

I'm in a bit of a quandary because I don't want to waste my doctor's time if the symptoms are only mild, but then again, I have DEFINITELY been exposed to the virus for a period of 3-4 weeks and I have uni exams in May so I'd definitely want to be better before then so I could do all my revision!

Sorry for the long, garbled message!

0 likes, 14 replies

14 Replies

• Posted

GP cannot do anything in glandular fever, except give pain killer like paracetamol
    • Posted

It's still important to be checked to know if you have glandular fever or not, because then you will be get help as to your recovery - please do go to the doctor Berry.

• Posted

He already said that his doctor diagnosed with glandular fever. 

Now he had to rest and hydrate himself. No medicines are required unless there is complications from this. 

• Posted

Hi Berry,

Please do go to the doctor and get checked out, you are not wasting anyone's time and if you explain everything you havve just explained there and ask would it be okay to get a blood test for glandular fever I don't think the doctor could in any fair way refuse you that.

Hoping that you and your boyfriend feel better soon and don't worry - you will both get through this and feel better.

Craig

• Posted

Ok, sorry .. this GF is for boyfriend. 

Ok, if you have not shown to your doctor your own symptoms, then yes it is recommended you go to the doctor and have it checked out. 

• Posted

Yes definitely do get checked Berry, let us know how you are doing and thinking about you today. Hang in there, things will get sorted, God will heal.

Take care

Craig

• Posted

Hi Craig,

Thanks for the advice. I did go to the Dr in the end and she was pretty sure I had it, but did some blood tests anyway just to confirm. I get the results tomorrow.

• Posted

Thinking about you Berry and don't worry if the results show glandular fever because you will get through it, it's a nasty virus to deal with at the time but it does get better - wait and see though and just hoping you're not feeling too bad - remember take plenty of rest and reduce stress as much as possible, those are key to helping recovery.

Craig

• Posted

The test came back negative but the Dr was still pretty sure I had it anyway and said it is notorious for not showing up in the first few days of symptoms. Thanks for your kind words, going to take this whole week off and see how it goes.
    • Posted

Hi Berry,

Hoping that you feel better after some rest, it can definitely take a bit of time with glandular fever so don't panic, see how things go and just take it a day at a time. Taking a good multi-vitamin definitely a good thing to do and immune boosting herb like siberian ginseng or echinicea. B complex vitamins and Co-enzyme Q10 also good for boosting energy levels - something worth giving a go if still not feeling great.

Hang in there and let us know how you are doing.

Craig

• Posted

Hi all,

I was feeling a bit better after essentially sleeping for four days but I have started feeling worse again. Still have swollen lymph nodes in my neck, a mild fever, headaches behind my eyes, sore tongue, body aches and fatigue, which is really impacting on my uni work - I haven't been able to do any revision.

Is it worth going back to the Dr to get tested for EBV as that was what my partner actually tested positive for? The test done on me was called the 'glandular fever screening test'.... I don't know if that equates to the Monospot one others have mentioned....

Any advice? I feel like I would be happier knowing what I'm actually dealing with virus-wise, but again, I don't want to waste my doctor's time :'(

• Posted

Hey Berry,

I do understand you would of course rather have that diagnosis at least to put your mind at rest. It does definitely sound like glandular fever, especially if your partner has it because that's the key thing that it's not passed airborne like other viruses but by saliva usually.

I'm no medical expert or anything but from my knowledge I'm pretty sure that a glandular fever screening test is essentially another way of checking for 'monospot' which is checking for EBV. It might be worth waiting a week or two and going to get tested again and seeing if it shows up then if you only got tested this week.

Main thing is not to worry and just remember you will most definitey get better - it's tough having to rest with uni work I get it, especially when under pressure must be so hard - thinking about you but remember your health comes first and this virus definitely needs rest and respect, otherwise it can take a longer period to recover - key is to rest in the early stages I'd say and recovery is quicker.

Thinking about you and don't worry - it does and will get better. Message any time if feeling low or worried.

Craig

• Posted

Hi Craig,

Saw another Dr this time and he recommended not having another blood test as it was highly likely that I had EBV.... I hope I wasn't wasting his time.... I have suffered from quite marked health anxiety related to OCD in the past so hopefully he understood this!

I'm feeling somewhat better now the headaches and fever have gone. One question, though - when is it appropriate to go back to normal activities? I'm feeling well enough to go on a walk today but don't want to risk tiring myself out and getting completely exhausted again.

• Posted

Hi Berry,

Nice to hear from you and I totally understand the anxiety, it's a horrible virus to go through so it's natural to feel that way but still not a nice thing to experience either. I definitely don't think you are wasting the doctor's time, don't ever think that because your health is very important!

It really is different from everyone this virus, some people seem to recover quicker than others, I guess you have to go with your own body but be wary not to do things too quickly either because it can take a few months for you to feel your full self again. I would say it's okay to go for a short walk if you feel up to it, but you know your body best so just be sensible and take plenty of rest with whatever you do for sure.

And key thing to remember is you definitely will get over it and get through it - without any doubt so even if you feel rubbish just now be assured of that!

Thinking of you and let us know how you are doing

Craig

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.