Is it worth having a CT scan after clear nasal endoscopy?

Posted , 3 users are following.

Hi all,

I really need some advice from you lovely lot as I'm feeling a bit lost and don't know what to do for the best.

For months I've suffered from the following symptoms in the right side of my face/head only:

Pressure pain at top of nose, swelling up right nostril, pain around eye socket, across cheek, bad pain in front of ear, one sided throat pain upon waking up in the morning and swollen lymph node under chin when waking up. Swollen lymph node right side of neck. Pressure feeling on roof of mouth.

I visited GP who suspected sinusitis and said that up my right nostril was very inflamed. Tried course of doxycycline and steroid nasal spray but didn't help symptoms so he referred me to ENT. I thought at this point it was unlikely to be sinusitis with the antibiotics not having affect and was hoping that the ENT would be able to look into it further. My ear pain went a lot worse whilst I was waiting too. Waited 4/5 weeks to see ENT who did nasal endoscopy and said it was clear. The ENT I saw wasn't thorough at all - he didn't check my throat or ears despite my symptoms, nor did he feel my swollen lymph nodes in my chin and neck which I'd told him about. He did mention that he could book me in for a CT scan of my sinuses but as my endoscopy was clear that wasn't much point so I said to leave it but I wanted to ask you guys if you've ever had a clear endoscopy but then had something show up on a CT scan which required treatment or helped you get a diagnosis?

I'm a bit lost as to what to do next really. I'm disappointed that the ENT didn't suggest looking into what else could be causing all my symptoms after he had ruled out sinusitis via the endoscopy as they are obviously being caused by something! Do you think I should seek a second opinion with an ENT who may be more thorough? If a CT scan is more detailed than an endoscopy I may call his secretary to ask him to arrange it but he really didn't seem keen on me having this done.

Thanks in advance for any advice you can offer.

0 likes, 6 replies

6 Replies

• Posted

Hi michelle

Sounds exactly like my symptoms and I get bad pains in my gums and teeth especially of a night. Do you get the pain running up in front of the ear to the side of the head too? Because I do. I had a camera put up my nose and was told I have unusual anatomy of the nose on the left side. That's where my problems are. Down the face too . I've had a ct scan and awaiting the results. The symptoms are so close to trigeminal neuralgia hard to distinguish between the two. I think it is worth you have g one just to rule out anything else.

• Posted

Hi Richard - thanks for your reply! Yes, I get a lot of pain in front of my right ear, going both across my cheek and down my jaw. I do have a brain condition whereby I have too much fluid around my brain so I sometimes wonder if these symptoms are being caused by that but because they are new symptoms I think they are separate.

I hope you get some answers from your CT scan and they can do something to help you!

• Posted

Hi Michelle, I've had pressure and a pulsating feeling behind my nose for 2 years now and just recently had 2 mri scans and a ct scan. The ENT doc put a camera up my nose first and said it was clear but sent me for the scans to check my circle of Willis. After my scans he said there were no problems, anyway I bought my scan results from the hospital and it said on the reports that I had mucosal thickening in 3 areas and an obstructed maxillary sinus!!! I'm confused that he saw no problems. I've had outside advice that I could have polyp there. Good luck.

• Posted

Hi Rhods, that's very confusing advice that they have said that there is nothing wrong but yet that is written on the report. It may be worth taking your scan results to another ENT for a second opinion.

So would you think, from you experience, that it would be worth be having the CT scan even with the ENT saying that my sinuses were clear on the endoscopy? I just don't understand why I'd be having all these symptoms or why the ENT hasn't even suggested looking into alternative issues.

Thanks for your reply, it's really good to be able to talk with people in a similar situation.

• Posted

I'm taking my results to my doctor today for some advice and hope she'll see my concern and refer me for a 2nd opinion. Live in hope.
    • Posted

And yes it would be worth going for a ct scan just in case the problem is at a point where the camera can't see.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.