Is It Wrong For Me To "Ask" For Certain Treatments?

Posted , 3 users are following.

Sorry about another thread, but I've really been struggling recently - not just with my actual mental health, but on the path to recovery, too, and I'm really trying to hear the opinions of people in the same position as me or those who have been.

I just want to know if it's wrong for me to ask for certain treatments from my GP? My idea of how I'm going to recover is very different to my GP's. He wants me to wait six months for a talking therapy (that I don't even want), but I know, in myself, I need a quicker intervention, so I want to go back and ask for medication. Is it wrong for me to do this? And if he says no, what should I do? Because I can't wait six months for help. I'll be dead by then.

Thank you for the replies.

2 likes, 6 replies

6 Replies

• Posted

No of course it's not wrong,  they can only say no.  I don't know why you weren't offered meds as well as counselling as they usually go hand in hand.  Go back to  your doctor and ask for some ad's and also ask if you can be referred for counselling more urgently.  Good lick.  x

• Posted

Thank you for the reply. 

I just feel bad because I don't want it to come across that I'm telling them how to do their job but if I know what I think will help me, I have a right to access that, surely? I shouldn't be told no because of the convenience of some cheque book. 

• Posted

Hi Callum it's not wrong to want to feel better and that's what your asking for, didn't your GP offer you anything medication wise when you went to see him? was it the first time you had contacted him/her with mental health issues? Sometimes dr's will steer away from meds nowadays actually believing that they are not always a good option as it can actually cause more problems if they just mask the symptoms and don't rectify the problem.

What med would you consider asking for

• Posted

You are not telling them how to do their job.  You are asking for help which is very different.  You can ask them if they think meds would help - you don't have to tell them they have to put you on them.  Good luck.  x

• Posted

For me, it's the dealing with the symptoms that steers me to untoward feelings of suicide and sadness, which is why, again, I am more confident than not that in the short-term, and going forward, medication is a viable option for me. The GP didn't offer medication, despite numerous cries for help (albeit, I never explicitly asked for medication) and asked me to wait a minimum of six months for a talking therapy. Fun (!)

As for the medication, Fluoxetine (Prozac) is what my dad is on and it worked for him. Genetically, I should respond well to the effects of Fluoxetine. 

• Posted

Thank you for the advice! It might be worth considering. There was a mention of medication at my last appointment. He said that if the talking therapy didn't work, he would consider a low-dose anti-depressant to keep things at bay. But as I said, things have escalated badly. I dropped out of Sixth Form for the rest of the year because the anxiety was consuming me. I'm too scared to even consider going back next year currently. So my life is pretty much over as far as I'm concerned so far. I made a complaint to my local NHS authority about all of this, so we'll see what happens. 

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.