Is Knee replacement recommended?

Posted , 2 users are following.

Hi Experts,

Last year while playing tennis, I tore my left knee Meniscus. Gave enough time to heal but didn't. Gradually my right knee started paining and when I did MRI, I was diagnosed with Osteoarthritis in both knees. The right knee in particular is a bit more painfull which has Stage 2. Left knee is Stage 1.

I am afraid of doing any sports activity and struggle climbing stairs, heavy lifting, walking for too long. I can still do all other activities, its just if I over do, the knees misbehaves (stiffness, pain etc.)

I am 43 and the doctors are advising not to go with Knee Replacement at this age. But my problem is that it keeps pricking at the back of my mind and I am very scarry to go out and enjoy my life as others do.

Can you guide me on my below queries?

1. Should I go for Knee replacement(s)?
  2. I understand it may take 6-12-18 months for Knee replacement. But after that, will one be able to carry out normal activities such as sports, full bending of knees ,running, swimming, heavy lifting
  3. How many years an an average the knee replacement will last for?
  4. Any other recommendataions?

Thanks

A Depressed Guy

0 likes, 1 reply

1 Reply

• Posted

Hi. i had my first knee replacement at 49 when it was bone on bone. I was pushed from pillar to post for years, (2 arthroscopies, hydrotherapy, physio, acupuncture ... you name it, they tried it). But it was all just delaying the inevitable, i couldnt sleep, struggled walking and couldnt do a full shop in the supermarket, even on shed-loads of painkillers.

i didn't do any sports beforehand other than horse riding but i stopped that due to pain. To be honest i was expecting a miracle and it to be a teenage knee again, but its not. However it is 1,000% better than it was before the op! Bend is not as good as my other knee and i cant kneel for long but i swim ok afterwards (cant do breastroke with legs though, only kick them) and i would think if you do all the exercises afterwards and put your mind to it, theres no reason you cant do sport (not sure what the guidance is on running though due to impact). i cant ride a bike due to not enough bend (can stand up and pedal but not sat down) though i can use some exercise bikes.

How long does it last? No idea! But i was told that due to my age, i WILL wear it out because i will naturally use it more than a little old lady who just potters about. So i would think the harder you use it in sports, then the quicker it will wear.

That was 7 years ago and i am now going for the next one. To be honest, i would listen to the doctors - i would never push for a replacement but it got to bone on bone and my life was badly affected.

Regards,

Susan

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.