is leaving simple partial seizures untreated safe??

Posted , 4 users are following.

hi there,

​so my boyfreind of 2 years has been having these "deja vu's" ever since he was a teenager. he doesnt get them very often but maybe ifs he's been drinking, he'l have one a few days later. they maybe occur about 5-10 times in a year.

​his mum had the exact same thing but grew out of it in her early twenties. he is currently 25 years old.

​when they happen he talks a bit of gibberish, like hes trying to rememeber something, then afterwards his short term memory is no good, and he cant rememeber where were going or doing, but he knows who i am, and everything comes back to him in a minute or 2. it has happened while hes been driving and he can function fine, no blackouts at all. once he did feel a bit nauseous afterwards but that has never happened since.

​he relys on driving for his job, and has not informed a gp of this, and thinks hel grow out of as his mum did. hes afraid to lose his license even for a year.

ive tried to read alot about it and there is conflicting reports saying that if its untreated it will get worse for sure, however others have said its a simple partial seizures where consciousness isnt affected then its not likely to get worse. As it is likely a genetic thing, i would make assumtpion that its not likely to progress, as its not scar tissue in the brain, causing new faulty connections to form, but something that has been there for years and may be unchanging.

​has anyone any thoughts....i know most will probably say go to the gp but long term medication seems to have so many side effects...but on the otherhand hes risking more severe forms of seizures or memory loss....

0 likes, 6 replies

6 Replies

• Posted

Hello. Yes I would definitely go to gp. He's risking his life and that of other people by driving. My son actually has epilepsy and has partial focal seizures, he doesn't lose consciousness, he just looks spaced out for a few minutes and lifts his arms up in the air. They so far have been completely under control by medication since he was diagnosed 4 years ago.

I know it is different to what you are talking of, as this is epilepsy but I was told any single one could turn into a full blown seizure. Good luck and all the best.

• Posted

Get him to see his GP and see a Epilepsy consultant.

I hope they don't get worse but better to be safe than sorry.

Good luck to you both xx

• Posted

Even a momentary loss of awareness of time and place is a sign that there's something going on. It woldn't hurt to make an appointment for a consultation with a neurologist. He'll make recommendations if he feels further testing is needed.
  • Posted

I'm sorry but this shouldn't be ignored if he's driving for a living, he risks invalidating his insurance as well as the lives of himself & other people including pedestrians.  Just because he doesn't lose conciousness doesn't mean its safe for him to drive.  We're not allowed to use our mobiles when driving as we're not fully concentrating, his seizures will have the same effect in that he isn't in full control especially since he doesn't remember where he's going or what he's doing after. An EEG will give a much better idea of what is going on.  I'm sorry if this isn't what you wanted to hear but please persuade him to see his GP.  Also his mother may not necessarily have grown out of hers.  I have been having SPS all my life but didn't realise until a few years ago. My full blown seizures have been very well controlled but things I experienced & thought were normal turned out to be SPS.  It all came to the fore when my warning signs of a full blown seizure flared up & my neurologist didn't believe me until she did an EEG & discovered I was experiencing SPS & Temporal Lobe Epilepsy too. I now take Lamotrigine as well as Phenobarbitone & feel more in control.
  • Posted

I too suffer with complex partial seizures (temporal lobe) and they have been controlled but not fully for thirty odd years now.  He definately should see a neurologist for EEGs and scans to be taken.  The driving thing is hard, let's hope his employer can find a desk job for him.  With the correct drugs, he may become seizure free.  Epilim and Keppra together gave me the best result but try and get the correct Keppra not a generic form, the correct one is expensive so GPs tend to prescribe a generic, I found these to pass through without dissolving in which case they would not have been doing much good (don't ask me how I knew!!) so I break these tablets in two to expose the inside, touch wood I haven't had an 'absense' for a year or two now.

Best of luck.

• Posted

hi david, i know the dvla changed their guidance recently where a simple seizure that doesn't cause lose of consciousness. theyl let u drive as long they are the only ones u get, but he's worried that theyl take it away he will be newly diagnosis is even though they've not go worse!

I think hel just have to see the gp, and not take any risks!

thanks for all the replies guys!

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.