Is Lichen Sclerosis hereditary?

Posted , 16 users are following.

Today I telephoned my sister who lives in another part of the country and I don't see very often. Nothing unusal about that but the revelation that she also suffers with LS stunned me. She only disclosed this to me because I told her that I had recently been diagnosed with the condition. Thinking I was making her aware of a disorder she may not have known about I was gobsmacked when she told me she had suffered with LS for at least 6 yrs. Is it just a coincidence or can we be genetical disposed to LS ?

Has anyone else on this forum got a close relative with LS.

0 likes, 32 replies

32 Replies

Prev
  • Posted

I am sure that my sister has it, she has been told she has Lichen Planus and has to have a gynae op to help her with her water works, she is incontinent at the moment.  She has had years of urine infections and yeast infections etc and has had a couple of ops down there already, her doc has told here she is closing up, sounds so much like LS.

my other sister has had LP in her mouth.

• Posted

HI Polly, My understanding is that Lichen Planus affects the mucosal membranes. Lichen Planus sounds an awful thing to have to deal with. It is in the same family of lichen's as Lichen Sclerosis and Lichen Simplex. One can suffer with both Lichen Planus and Lichen Sclerosis at the same time. I do hope your sister does not have both conditions as one is more than enough for anyone to contend with. 
    • Posted

You are welcome Polly and good vibes for both of your sisters.
  • Posted

Hi Norma, I have only been diagnosed with LS for two months now and I was talking to my sister and showed her my leaflet fro my gynae and she said OMG I have those same symptoms but she thought it was just menopause problems. Shes since had it confirmed too that she has LS. I wanted to see if maybe our mum had it too but she passed 5 years ago and i feel a bit uncomfortable discussing with my dad. All three of us had large cysts on our right ovaries my mums was ovarian cancer and she died from this, but mine and my sisters were fortunatly fine.My mum had under active thyroid and my sister and me have asthma So i wonder if they are all connected or it is herediatry?
    • Posted

emma, there are too many repeating patterns with close relatives and connecting complaints to dismiss hereditary factors. We are the product of genes and environment and I believe genes are more dominant than may be thought. Hypothyroidism is a common autoimmune disease that often  runs along with LS which keeps me returning to endocrine malfunction as a trigger for LS. Diabetes could be another trigger creating a domino effect. These endocrine diseases are more prominant around the menopause when endocrine hormones are imbalanced. The illnesses you refer to are all autoimmune illnesses and the result of a malfunctioning endocrine system.
    • Posted

Im 42 and havent entered the menopause yet, i have one ovarie left and my current period cycle is every 23 days! ( maybe this is the start?) I havent heard of endocrine but i wil look into that, thank you! It does seems a common factor in LS I think.
    • Posted

Well you've just described me Norma. I am just through the menopause, have hypothyroidism and type 2 diabetes. And LS obviously. My mother doesn't have LS though.
    • Posted

One can start with an early menopause emma, just as some can have a late menopause. Around late 40's and early 50's is only a generalisation.

The endocrine system is the collective group of hormonal glands and organs.

• Posted

Chrissy, it does appear to be quite common if one gets an autoimmune disorder to go on to get more. Mine appear to be inflammatory skin problems, LS and eczema. My sister with LS also has eczema. Autoimmune afflictions occur more often in women than men. I think it is because our reproductive system is more complicated involving more hormonal gland activity. When a/some glands start running under par is when things start to go haywire. My mum was type 2 diabetic so I keep an eye on my diet.
    • Posted

I just read some interesting facts on a medical site about St. Johns Wort and it's treatment of eczema and other skin disorders.  You might want to do some investigation on it as it sounded very promising.
    • Posted

Yes,it is interesting renee. I read some time ago about  a male who had eczema for a number of years and claimed to have cured himself with St. Johns Wort. I think it was a topical cream that he used. If I can remember correctly there are 2 antiflammatory molecules in St. Johns Wort.  Oral treatment has been used for depression but I think there has been some controversy. Could be to do with side effects from over use.Certainly worth a consideration and I don't think the topical cream would do any harm. Thanks for that renee,I had forgotton about it. 
  • Posted

I don't know about hereditary, but I am Russia, Scandinavian, Aleut, Eskimo, Japanese. I might have some irish, but who knows. I just know I'm tired of this.. but I have Ehlers Danlos and my son has mutated NF1 with possible Ehlers and moyamoya with aneurysms. The itching and cracking of my skin is getting to be so horrible. I'm going to ask my sons geneticist. Hugs and loves.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.