Is Lisinopril gluten free?

Posted , 2 users are following.

I am coeliac and my GP would like me to try Lisinopril for my unacceptably high blood pressure. However neither he, the pharmacist nor myself have been able to discover if the drug is gluten free. We are also concerned that I have had severe allergic reactions (SJS) to ACE inhibitors in the past.

0 likes, 3 replies

3 Replies

• Posted

Hi

I've sent an e-mail to the two drug companies who manufacture Lisinopril to see if they can provide the answer. I'll let you know via this thread as soon as I hear anything back.

Hilary - Patient Admin Team

• Posted

I have received the following back:

[quote:6906a61859]Thank you for your enquiry regarding Carace (lisinopril).

I can confirm that Carace is not a gluten-free product.

Catherine Davies (BPharm)

Medical Information Scientist

Bristol-Myers Squibb Pharmaceuticals Ltd

[/quote:6906a61859]

• Posted

I've now had a reply from the other manufacturer:

[quote:2b505856db]Thank you for your recent correspondence regarding ZestrilĀ® (Lisinopril), containing gluten. I am pleased to confirm that Zestril is gluten free. In order to support your other allergic reactions, I have listed the excipients in Zestril. I hope this information will be of use to you.

This information has bee taken from the SPC (summary product characteristics) on the Electronic Medicines Compendium website http://emc.medicines.org.uk/).

Under section 6.1 List of Excipients

Mannitol

Calcium Hydrogen Phosphate dihydrate

Red Iron Oxide, in all except the 2.5 mg (E172)

Maize Starch

Pregelatinised Starch

Magnesium Stearate

Dee Parmar

Medical Customer Contact Centre Advisor

[/quote:2b505856db]

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.