Is Low Ferritin causing all this pain?

Posted , 5 users are following.

I have been having extreme body aches and joint pain for the past 6 weeks on a daily basis. I had a bunch of blood tests done (thyroid, ferritin, b12, etc) and everything was in the normal range. My GP said that my ferritin was 34ug/L and it's on the "low normal" end and recommended an iron supplement.

Can my iron level really be giving me so much pain? It's affecting my ability to function and I am taking pain meds every day without much relief.

0 likes, 7 replies

7 Replies

• Posted

i had low iron and needed iron tablets iv also been that low iv needed a transfusion but iv never had pain with either i had light head dizzyness and extreme tiredness shortness.of breath

• Posted

I had low ferratin after a bowel resection. I had those pains. Especially in legs. Plus tingling. I had an iv infusion. My ferratin is 20 now ( low ) and he doesn't think i need an infusion but i can't take supplements, not even liquid ones. I feel really rubbish some days. Anything low on your iron studies can make you feel crap., very complicated system! It's your blood not doing its job so makes sense.

• Posted

just thought i would update this. my ferratin had dropped to 8. iv infusion for me. feel awful .

• Posted

Give the iron supplements a try for a couple of weeks to one month. If you are still feeling bad return to your doctor. Best wishes.

• Posted

Hi Pam, sorry you are feeling unwell at the moment. I had low ferritin (10) and B12 and felt many aches and pains. Especially in my legs and joints. I found it hard to believe I Could feel so ill, but it did improve over time and after taking supplements religiously 3 times a day. (Ferrous Sulphate and B12 injections)

I hope you feel better soon.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.