Is medication really that bad?

Posted , 4 users are following.

I've been living with mild anxiety for about 5 months now. Some weeks are better then others. At times I feel 100% like myself, but when that "feeling" comes along and knocks me a step back I feel like I've made no progress. I haven't started therapy yet but will soon. When I do feel 100% I feel as if I've successfully shaken this anxiety problem off. When I have a bad day I feel it's always back to the drawing board. On the bad days I feel very weak minded. Like I've lost control of myself. Then I begin thinking about giving into the meds. Are the meds really that bad like I've heard? I've heard it can alter one's state of mind or make anxiety worse. You become dependant on it and I heard the withdrawal can be even really tough. This worries me if I were to choose that route. I've kinda been solidering on and weathering the storms when the bad days happen. Any insight would be appreciated.

0 likes, 9 replies

9 Replies

• Posted

I would research the natural meds...even thou the natural meds are not regulated by the FDA...on the other hand the medications that are regulated by the FDA for depression do not have long term studies to show "safety" either.

Also...the prescribed meds...have just as many if not more interactions with other medications...as natural meds.

I am practicing with Omega 3 (heart and health benefits), Ginseng (Depression and Anxiety), Melatonin for sleep...Chaomile tea for relaxation 2x  a day.

• Posted

Here's how I feel. When your in a constant state of panic, and can;t think, eat,sleep, or swallow, I would walk through hot coals or eat glass if I thought that would make me better. When in this high state of angst, I could not have cared less about an herb, or tea. And quite frankly I don't worry at all about long term effect of meds. I don't think there are any. They are just like any life saving med is. I have been on meds for thirty years, and still doing fine. Just saying.

• Posted

There are a ton of books, seminars, webinars, therapies, alternative ways and remidies out there. Meds make sense when you cant function and or have an issue besides panic attacks. You go to a traditional medical doctor you will be given the traditional pill of choice. It is where you seek help that will determine this. Meds do work on half the people who try and use them. Thats the statistics. Cbt works in half the people who choose that route. Some combine the two which is a lot smarter so they learn then needed skills and gain the proper rationale to deal with stress and their symptoms. It isnt a bad thing but it comes with consequences. 
    • Posted

Passionflower. A few small clinical trials suggest that passionflower might help with anxiety. In many commercial products, passionflower is combined with other herbs, making it difficult to distinguish the unique qualities of each herb. Passionflower is generally considered safe when taken as directed, but some studies found it can cause drowsiness, dizziness and confusion.

Valerian. In some studies, people who used valerian reported less anxiety and stress. In other studies, people reported no benefit. Valerian is generally considered safe at recommended doses, but since long-term safety trials are lacking, don't take it for more than a few weeks at a time. It can cause some side effects such as headaches and drowsiness.

Chamomile. Limited data shows that short-term use of chamomile is generally considered safe and can be effective in reducing symptoms of anxiety. Use of chamomile can cause allergic reactions in some people who are sensitive to the family of plants that includes chamomile. Other members of this family are ragweed, marigolds, daisies and chrysanthemums.

Lavender. Some evidence suggests that oral lavender or aromatherapy with lavender can reduce anxiety; however, evidence is preliminary and limited. Oral lavender can cause constipation and headache. It also can increase appetite and the sedative effect of other medications and supplements and can cause low blood pressure.

Lemon balm. Preliminary research shows lemon balm can reduce some symptoms of anxiety, such as nervousness and excitability. Lemon balm is generally well-tolerated and considered safe for short-term use, but can cause nausea and abdominal pain.

5htp, sweet basil (fresh or drops), celery juiced with one inch of ginger, calm, magnessium glycinate, suntheanine, l theanine, 

• Posted

Thank you for writing all that...I had researched all of this all day and have read most of what you have written.

The magnesium thou I can not take as it will make one of my medications less effective....so it gets really confusing when there is a natural remedy  but they I have to research that rememdy to see if there are interactions with the medications that the PCP orders for physical symptoms.

• Posted

Very smart that you know to check interactions! Look into a clean diet. At least you can remove all the pesticides, additives put into food and that should help a bit. And drink lots of fresh clean filtered water to flush this all out. The alternatives depending on your medcines can be used together or you just go alternative all together but you would need a complimentary doctor to work with you. They know how to work with all this. Can you take a b complex vitamin? B12 sub lingual?
  • Posted

Like yourself i have bad and good days but recently  have just  Been having awful days almost every single day .. I hate it it totally ruins my entire life i am gonna see a councillor cause i can't take it any longer

• Posted

Hey clair, a counselor can not perscribe meds. You need a antidepressant. Call you family doc and they will get you squared away. Don't you want to feel good again. Stop this suffering. You can do this. I promise you'll feel better. 

• Posted

This nasty anxiety  is alway's hiding, and ready to pounce when we least expect it.. I  use to be the same way. I would over come it ,and all of a sudden it would come back . Mine got really bad at 23, and they didn't have these great antidepressants then. I suffered alot. Well in my early thirties, I finally was at my wits end, and went bawling and freaking out to my family doc. She put me on a antidepressant,and about 2 weeks later,I felt wonderful. Since then, I have changed meds a few times, for one reason or another. Oh yes,I tried coming off them to see if I was miraculously healed. (not) Went right back to being anxiety ridden. So anyway,I will be on meds for the rest of my life, and as long as I feel good, I'm good with that. It is want it is. I am 56 now and  on Cymbalti, and amitriptyline. Works for me. I have been great for years. At any time I am not great, I will go right away and get a med change. Just remember they have to start  somewhere,and the first one  might be fabulous, or maybe does nothing for you. The important thing is, stay in touch with you doc, till it's right for you. No more worries now. Go right away. You can do this. I promise you'll be right as rain in no time. lol

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.