is memory loss normal after quitting?

Posted , 5 users are following.

Hello I need some help I just recently quit alcohol about 1 week ago and just realizied I keep forgetting things like words and names of places but i not forgetting anything else. Also my head sorta feels weird and it feels like my brain is blank, like when im trying to explain something to someone it feel like i cant think, idk its kinda weird. so my question is, is this normal?

0 likes, 9 replies

9 Replies

• Posted

Hello Oz 

I can relate to what your saying joining up your sentenences and then forgotting what you were talking about and your speach slightly broken - I think it will improve as time goes on - Very well done for giving up the demon drink - how long has it been for you?

• Posted

Hi oz

i too can relate to feeling like that. Can be talking about something and then have to stop as I can't remember what I was talking about. You're certainly not alone

• Posted

How long have you been given up Vicky Lou

• Posted

Last had two bottles of wine on Monday but nothing since. I suffer bouts of dreadful anxiety which is when I start to drink. I do feel better after a few drinks but know it's only very temporary. However since July really I seem to have constant anxiety and lethargy. I can't be bothered to do anything, even having a shower is an effort. I'm sure I need to change my medication as been on trazadone for anxiety for years. However I know alcohol is a depressant so taking antidepressants is useless. I need to get back on track, but sometimes the easy option is to drink and shut off. When did you stop or have you cut down?
  • Posted

I used to feel like that till, l started taking diet coke in the same way l use to drink alcohol, it all went away, it does eventually go u need lots of fluids cheers.
    • Posted

Hi, I was gonna say summat but I've forgot what......😃

I suffer from alcohol induced memory loss, but it's getting better. I've been dry for 9 weeks. The first 5 weeks I thought I had Alzheimer's, couldn't remember anything, 😃😃😃👍

• Posted

Vitamin B & thiamine are required to get your brain back in action 👍👍
    • Posted

I've just bought some vitamins and avoided the alcohol aisles!
  • Posted

Well i quit about a week ago because I'm starting this civil construction course which i will have to travel to the city everyday for 7 weeks. Now I feel like I'm going to be too dumb to cope,.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.