Is methotrexate causing my weight loss and decreased appetite?

Posted , 5 users are following.

I have arthritis and was recently (in the past month and a half) put on methotrexate tablets (6 a week) and im also taking a 1mg folic acid supplement 5 times a week (excluding the day i take my MTX). Ive noticed ive lost a couple pounds and i have no appetite whatsoever. I dont have really bad nausea with the MTX (which is great), but i wake up with a headache after taking it. I also have ibs and so i eat clean, my typical diet consists of a smoothie for breakfast, and salad and chicken for both my lunch and dinner because im trying to heal my gut. I have been eating a lot less now, down to my smoothie ad maybe a small dinner. i feel full all the time and i dont have that hunger anymore.

0 likes, 5 replies

5 Replies

• Posted

Yes this drug can cause both wieght gain and loss. But contact your doctor if you are conserned. They should help. I have been on this drug for over a year I would love to have a poor appitite as I have now reached 100 kg. I understand my problem is to do with having both rhumatoid artheritis (sorry if spelling is wrong) and fybromialgia. And now needing a wheelchair to go any distance. I only take folic acid once a week and I take 2 hydroxychloroquine 200mg each day. I have to say it could be different meds as I live in the north.
  • Posted

Hi Mary

i have been on a similar regime to you for the last 3 years and have found a very gradual increase in gastro discomfort and bloating particularly if I eat too much.  One thing that has really helped has been taking chlorella and spirulina tablets (6 a day!). They are known to help with chemo drugs and since methotrexate is such a drug perhaps it is not surprising they help.  I am surprised I have not seen them mentioned online more in this context.  It maybe worth a try.  Best of luck

Rob

• Posted

Hi MAry. Everyone is so different with how they react to Methotrexate. Its a very strong drug clearly. Ive lost almost 20 lbs (and I needed too) after I started taking it. My appetite has diminished BUT unlike you I do have nausea. A lot of expletives gain weight (I think its the steroids) but a small percentage lose weight (like us). Eat healthy and also keeping hydrated is a must! Good luck.
  • Posted

I started taking MTX two weeks ago, 6 x 2.5mg a week, with Folic Acid, 1mg daily, for my RA. Yes I noticed my weight dropped almost 7 lbs in the last ten day or so. I tried to get my Doctor's attention for my weight lose but still wait for his comments. I lost my appetite and did not feel to eat! Hope this is a short term side effect of MTX and will disappear soon!!??  BTW, MTX seems helping my Pain and Stiffness on my finger and shoulder some.

• Posted

I started taking MTX two weeks ago, 6 x 2.5mg a week, with Folic Acid, 1mg daily, for my RA. Yes I noticed my weight dropped almost 7 lbs in the last ten day or so. I tried to get my Doctor's attention for my weight lose but still wait for his comments. I lost my appetite and did not feel to eat! Hope this is a short term side effect of MTX and will disappear soon!!??  BTW, MTX seems helping my Pain and Stiffness on my finger and shoulder some.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.