Is Mirtazapine right for me ??

Posted , 4 users are following.

Hi All,

I started Mirtaz about 6.5 weeks ago.

My starting dose was 15mg for 8 days, then 30mg for 13 days and then 45mg for 16 days.

The 45mg was to much, felt really agro all the time and very irritable, so the doc dropped my dose back to 30mg which I have now been on for 11 days, but I am finding I am needing to take 1 to 2 Lorazepam a day because my anxiety and intrusive thoughts have come back and meditation/mindfulness isn't helping me as much as it was.

I wake up with a stiff sore neck every morning now and have thoughts of wanting to crack my neck but never do cause I don't want to harm myself and never have.

Does anyone think things will get better or do I need to get my doc to try me on a dose like 37.5mg to see if that helps the anxiety and intrusive thoughts to lesson ?

I would be very grateful for any advice that anyone could give me.

Kind Regards,

Aaron

0 likes, 5 replies

5 Replies

• Posted

I started on 30mg, stayed on that 10weeks, and have been at 45mg for 4 weeks exactly...I'm still not really fantastic. It sorted my depression- but I only had depression mildly from suffering with the anxiety...so it's like..not really making much difference. I have really good, normal days..but then have really bad days too...I'm unsure of whether this is all part of recovery or it's just not working for me. It's all about patience and perserverance...which is really hard when you suffer with anxiety...I think you need to give the 45mg a bit longer atleast Aaron. It can take 4-6weeks after an increase to feel the benefit..I know that I'm going to give it another month at the max and then decide if I should carry on. You've come this far...you may aswell wait a few more weeks to see if it does start helping...
    • Posted

Hi Rachael,

Thanks for the swift reply.

I am on 30mg at the moment and have been for 11 days so ya reckon giving it a few more weeks and then see if it's right for me mate ?

• Posted

Stick to 30 for a bit longer to see how it goes, I found I felt more normal with time smile
  • Posted

Hi Aaron, I now take 30mg Mirt at night and 150mg Venlafaxine at breakfast and it seems to suit me well. I  got really agitated by Mirt at first, shocking really. It's the only time when I felt the doc should have warned me it was a possible side effect. .I picked up a spade and worked outside all day and that helped a bit. For me, Now I would only change dose very slowly, cut pills in half etc. Mirtazapine seems good and does its primary effect pretty quickly, it helped me in a week. But it definitely has other unwanted effects so it's worth trying to get the right dose. Drinking alcohol while on Mirt will just make you sick. I hope you feel better soon. David.

• Posted

Hi Dave,

Cheers for the reply.

I make sure I don't drink any grog whilst on Mirt have heard it can really make you crook.

Yeah that low and agitated feeling is shocking, I take Lorazepam to keep it in check but don't really want to be on that for long periods of time. Seeing the Doc on Tuesday hopefully we can come up with some solutions.

Cheers,

Aaron

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.