Is Mirtazapine the answer??? Help

Posted , 4 users are following.

I was prescribed Mirtazapine 3 weeks ago by my doctor, 15mg for anxiety and low mood... My anxiety has got worse i feel more withdrawn and tearful, with suicdle thoughts. Also been annoyed easily and agitatted. I increased dose to 30mg night before last as recommended by doctor, but yesterday felt awful. I sleep till about 2am then awake.. Not sure if these are helping or not??? Please help

1 like, 12 replies

12 Replies

• Posted

I would go back to the docs and talk to him. It doesn't sound like mirt is the best for you if you were only feeling low. Did you try citalopram?

I have been really good for a year on Mirt 30mg but did struggle with tiredness to start.

• Posted

Hi Suzanne, it is early days, I felt the same at first, stick with it and keep speeing to your doctor. 30 made me a bit wired and I am going up to 45 tonigh as my panics and depression are creeping back in. Everybody seems to have different reactions to this drug but it has had some good reports. Good luck sorry I can't be more helpful. This site helps with support I have found. Judith
    • Posted

I have great reports about it. It has levelled me out after being on citalopram for a year and constantly going up in doses, I went on to 30mg of mirt and have o lying had two wobbles, mainly due to putting in too much time at work and stressing about it. I have been using mindfulness too to really help.

Stick with it, but keep in contact with your doc. My doc wanted to do a straight swap off citalopram to mirt, but I came off one and swapped within two weeks.. felt very odd and a bit all over the place coming off one and going g to the other but have been in pretty good frame of mind for 12 months.. just remember we are on here to help and listen.. you are not alone ok!

• Posted

I was on citalopram before hand for 2 weeks, one doc said I was oversensitive to tablets, then another doctor swapped from citalopram to Mirtazapine, no break in between. I see a counsellor and Im waiting for some psychology but I just wish something would help take the edge of anxiety and lift my mood. Taking nothing last night, took me forever to geta wink of sleep then I've felt flat and anxious getting worse with low mood thoughout the day. Im confused about the mirtazapine, only getting me some sleep till 2am for most nights though then tossing and turning. Most people on here it knocks you out all night! and the heart palpitations throughout day have been awful!
  • Posted

As judith mentioned it is still early days into the treatment so I would just stick with it and see how you go on the 30mg dose. Some people respond quicker than others and for some people it can take 3-5 weeks before they started to feel better, so carry on best you can, the side effects should wear off but again this varies between people. Mirtazapine is meant to be a very good drug and it works to increase both serotonin and noradrenaline, it may just take some time! 
    • Posted

Thank you for responses, I do feel very alone at the minute, I have a 4 yar old son and daily life is so hard at the minute even struggling with the school run! im back at doctors tomorrow, although I upped my dose night before last, i had nothing last night and have felt so flat and low today.. So confused if they will help me or not. Dont know whether to have 15mg tonight or half 7.5mg. Ive tryed citlopram they didnt help me 20mg. Im either over sensitive to all these antidepressants or the opposite and just feel the side effects. Im suffering with bad panic but mood seems lower and lower. I had to give up my job 2 weeks ago and feeling hopeless and nothing to occupy my time does not help.
  • Posted

Thank you for responses, I do feel very alone at the minute, I have a 4 yar old son and daily life is so hard at the minute even struggling with the school run! im back at doctors tomorrow, although I upped my dose night before last, i had nothing last night and have felt so flat and low today.. So confused if they will help me or not. Dont know whether to have 15mg tonight or half 7.5mg. Ive tryed citlopram they didnt help me 20mg. Im either over sensitive to all these antidepressants or the opposite and just feel the side effects. Im suffering with bad panic but mood seems lower and lower. I had to give up my job 2 weeks ago and feeling hopeless and nothing to occupy my time does not help.
    • Posted

You are NOT alone... We have and are all going through this on a daily basis. It does take some time, I was exactly the same for a few months and was so low, confused and just didn't care anymore.. took it out on my family. It will start to flatten out and you will be able to manage it.
    • Posted

Thanks Russell, Im gonna carry on taking the 15mg and see what my doctor says. Wanting and avoiding most things does not help, I fear what people think and would rather be alone than smile and pretend Im not breaking inside. Anxiety and depression is such an unfair battle and society still has a stigma. Makes me feel like a weirdo not being able to soialise and not be scared etc. Where does normal begin!
    • Posted

I have been taking mirtazapine for several months.  Usually  this medication has the effect of helping one to sleep.  I was prescribed 15 mg. but because it made me sleepy during the day the MD told me to cut it in half.  I'm on 7.5 mg. now but think I might up it to 15mg. Another       doctor told me  that 7.5 mg. really is too small a dose to be effective.   i do think it helps with my depression.   My doctor also said it takes a  few weeks before one sees results.  I'm sorry you're going through this, especially with a young child to care for.  And you're right - if one has a physical ailment there's pity and understanding surrounding us but with an  emotional problem people do look at us differently.  A dear friend who had severe emotional problems said that mirtazapine saved her life. I truly hope it works for you.   Good luck.  
  • Posted

give it a bit more time and the bad symptoms should go away. If not then you will need to change over to something else.

Richard

• Posted

Increased dose on Friday night to 30mg, anxiety seems to gone down but my mood is as flat as a pancake. I know time will tell thank you for advise

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.