Is my alcohol consumption excessive??

Posted , 6 users are following.

I'd like some advice and no judgement please! My husband and I drink a bottle of wine each on s Friday and Saturday. Our only unhealthy vice. We dont touch a drop during the week. Ive heard such conflicting reports about how bad this is. I think it's perfectly fine but recently read this was considered alcoholic.

Last year I had repeat bloods after a liver enzyme was raised. It turned out to be a certain virus but inevitably at my first appointment alcohol was raised. I told my doctor how much I drank and she said this was moderate and not to exceed it and I would be fine. A second doctor laughed when I asked if it was a worrying amount and said not at all and a third doctor told me I was a heavy drinker. Confused I spoke to another who said the truth is there is no idea on a safe limit as every individual is different. To one person several bottles a week wont harm them to another several pints could be very dangerous.

So my question is this. Am I to enjoy my weekly vice without guilt or do I have a 'problem'. I wonder what the normal is for other middle aged couples?

1 like, 9 replies

9 Replies

• Posted

Wow, I wouldnt consider that excessive at all. I personally drink more than that every day. I'm not proud of it, but I'm not experiencing any health problems.

I think it depends on the person. Some people have a high tolerance to alcohol. A bottle of wine each on fri and sat would only equate to 18 unit per week which is within the recommended amount.

If you are worried and are experiencing symptoms during the week then maybe you should take private advice. GPs all have different opinions.

I think if you asked 99% of the adults in the UK (and some of the younger people) you will find that your alcohol consumption is tiny compared to theirs. If you are having any symptoms, twinges in the liver etc., then maybe alcohol doesn't agree with you.

I'm not in any way saying that you should continue, but every person is different. I wouldnt be concerned at all with that amount. In fact, I wish I could only drink on a Friday and Saturday. Yesterday was the first day that I waited until 7:30 until I had a glass of wine. I slept well and felt great today. Please don't let it get to the point where you are drinking a bottle of wine each every day. You will be on here asking for advice, like myself, when that happens.

Don't worry xx

• Posted

Thanks for your comments. The truth is we used to drink a lot more and I felt really good that we reigned it back to just the weekend. I was gutted to hear this was considered by some excessive.

Funny how different people effect how I feel. My parents drink a lot and consider my drinking very minimal. Some friends are horrified by the amount I drink which throws me into a huge guilt.

Think I'll use my common sense and avoid Google!

Thank you x

• Posted

Don't ever look at Google!!!

You drink four large glasses of wine twice a week. Any doctor would see that as normal, not excessive at all.

When you start drinking a bottle of spirits each every day then I think you need to worry! There might be a few people on here who disagree with me, but my nan used to drink spirits at the weekend only and she lived until 87 and died of natural causes. I think as long as you give your liver a rest during the week then you're doing a good job. Wish I could be like you.

I'm going to try and taper off from tomorrow. It's become a habit for me now. If I can get to just drinking wine at the weekends then I'll be happy. Keep it going. Youre doing fine xx

• Posted

Thanks again for the advice hope all goes well for you.

I'm sure just drinking at the weekends won't last but I'm going to make a conclusion effort to try and keep on track. Clearly this will go out of the window at Christmas but come January I'm determined to stick with it.

• Posted

If that's all you ever drink, a bottle of wine on Fridays and Saturdays, you have nothing to worry about.

However, the doctor that said it affects people in different ways is correct.

For example, I have a friend who is a heavy drinker, some times he gets a bottle of whisky and drinks it all in one day. The next day he could go without. If I did that, I would be having major AWS and not be able to function.

• Posted

To clarify I mean a bottle each in a Friday and a bottle each on a Saturday. When I tell some people I finish a bottle a bottle of wine to myself and don't feel absolutely plastered they seem absolutely horrified.

I guess it shocked me a little and made me question whther it was excessive ...

• Posted

When I walk around to the village shop early on a Friday, when everyone has put their recycling out for collectiom, you would not believe how many empty wine and beer bottles are in the glass box outside each house.
    • Posted

Well done that's not excessive at all you should see my bin at the end of a week 😭😭😭
    • Posted

Same as mine Caz. It sounds like we own a bar when they empty the bottles at the end of the week!

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.