Is my alcohol consumption excessive??

Posted , 4 users are following.

I'd like some advice and no judgement please! My husband and I drink a bottle of wine each on s Friday and Saturday. Our only unhealthy vice. We dont touch a drop during the week. Ive heard such conflicting reports about how bad this is. I think it's perfectly fine but recently read this was considered alcoholic.

Last year I had repeat bloods after a liver enzyme was raised. It turned out to be a certain virus but inevitably at my first appointment alcohol was raised. I told my doctor how much I drank and she said this was moderate and not to exceed it and I would be fine. A second doctor laughed when I asked if it was a worrying amount and said not at all and a third doctor told me I was a heavy drinker. Confused I spoke to another who said the truth is there is no idea on a safe limit as every individual is different. To one person several bottles a week wont harm them to another several pints could be very dangerous.

So my question is this. Am I to enjoy my weekly vice without guilt or do I have a 'problem'. I wonder what the normal is for other middle aged couples?

1 like, 4 replies

4 Replies

• Posted

I don't think so..not affecting your life's...your enjoying it..both stopped happening for me...
  • Posted

The recommendation is that women should not exceed 21 units a week. A bottle of wine, depending on strength (abv) is around 10 units. So in my opinion your consumption is fine, and you are giving your liver a good rest for 5 days. Wishing you mall the best.
  • Posted

Genuine thanks for the supportive comments. Have had do many negative on the past. X

• Posted

Genuine thanks for the supportive comments. Have had do many negative on the past. X

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.