Is my anxiety causing High BP

Posted , 6 users are following.

so im a worry freak... and have high blood pressure . im on 8mg pendropil as ive upgraded from 4mg last week. but my readings are sometimes 150/84 134/76 126/74 they seem to just bounce everywhere . when i always go to the doctors its 160/90. so anxiety causing this as ive had everh heart test done in the book

0 likes, 11 replies

11 Replies

• Posted

Anxiety can certainly cause or aggravate high blood pressure.

If those are all good resting numbers then the 150/84 is a little high on the systolic but the diastolic is OK-ish, and I give the diastolic priority. Of course when the systolic and diastolic get out of proportion that's a whole other discussion.

But the 134/76 and 126/74 aren't anything to worry about.

The high number in the doctors office - still has an unusual gap between the systolic and diastolic, but lots of people have "white jacket hypertension" that gives bad readings only in doctors offices. Not me - mine tends to be lower there, which can be just as frustrating!

• Posted

yeah im wondering if i got white coat myself im going to checky bp in abit again see what it is at resting . im also 420lbs which dont help

• Posted

yeah so just checked it and when i first arrived it was 147/84 after waiting 5mins then i waited anorher 5 mins and it was 117/82 pulse 76...lol im guessing this is a mix of stress and anxiety and what i ate today

• Posted

Hey Brandon, anyone gets up and walks around a bit is going to raise the BP and there's nothing wrong with that, just so it goes back down again. Maybe you're doing OK.

Even serious weight does not always mean high BP, go figure. Mine - and pretty much my whole family - goes higher than that, without anyone being much overweight. Though when we skinny down that does help.

• Posted

Brandon, I've been fighting it for about ten years now, but hey my younger brother has been taking the meds for longer than me.

When first diagnosed it was over 150/100 (in the doctor's office), with meds we got it down to under 130/90 mostly, and for the last couple of years it has averaged better than that - I lost some weight, and that had to help. But sometimes it still goes over 150/100 for a few hours. I take some extra meds then.

Some of this can be triggered by diet and other supplements/meds. It can be a battle.

Doctors don't know and don't care. They take your BP once a year and think that's all they need, and they pretty consistently write off high readings in their offices as white coat hypertension. Have to take some responsibility ourselves in most cases, and every case is different.

• Posted

Relax, friend. Your at home readings should be averaged! Do it by day; week, or month make sure you average them. Avoidtaking more than 2-3 readings (spaced) throughout each day. 140/90 or less is what you want the average to be or be under. Your readings at the Dr's office will probably be higher because you are nervous about the bp readings. Mine is. Stay calm when talking to the med staff or they will keep upping the dosages. Relax and start averaging. Good luck.

• Posted

ps i can bang out 206/110 in the drs office, or ER get home 160s/90s then again in 45-60 min 111/67. Combination stress (job), the anxiety of bp(white coat syndrome)... I've been in the hospital several days with proof of normal bp. Stay calm. Just the thought of taking my bp causes it to soar. The sound of the cuff inflating causes mine to rise. Alcohol and caffeine will cause you bp to jump around. Be true to what you eat and drink. remember to average your readings. good luck.

• Posted

thanks henpen! ive had so many heart test done to and nothing has shown! also would ylu happen to have a way i can talk to you like snap or email or whats app if ya do private message me it

• Posted

thats what i mean i went to the doctors and my blood pressure was 150/90. and he instantly moved me from 4mg blood pressure medication to 8mg . not even my own family doctor haha.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.